Quantcast

SF-2A Cygnet For Sale in SoCal - FLY it Home Today

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Thanks. Appreciate your help. Claude

BTW: Looks like a nice design on the compass mount. :)

Very nice just needs a stripe down the side and some 6-600 tires to operate off turf. I used the low profile tires on turf for 1 years but the big tires realy made it a better airplane all around. The Revmaster 2100 is a good fit with it. Zig who built mine is 6'2" and about 190 he lowered the canopy for a little more streamlining and had no difficulty fitting, inseam may be the limiting factor. It is a cozy cockpit with a great view over the nose. Yes I like the design!

Attachments

Last edited:

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Thanks for the picture. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it on Thursday.

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Hi, all:

For those that may be interested in this Cygnet airplane, I just wanted to post an update on my visit today to see it. The bottom line is that I decided not to purchase it. This was a very difficult decision for me as I found the plane to be in really nice shape, very nicely equipped and a great value. The only reason that I passed on it is just that I don't fit comfortably as my legs were sore after a brief flight; the cockpit width was okay but room for my legs unfortunately insufficient. If it wasn't for that I would have happily bought it!

For those that may be wondering, here are some things that I noticed that might be of interest:
  • Very nicely equipped:
    • Narco 810 Comm
    • Narco AT 50 Transponder
    • Encoding Altimeter
    • ADS-B Out via (I think) uAvioinix SkyBeacon on the left wingtip.
    • Sigtronics 2 Place Intercom on the dash.
    • Garmin GPSMAP 295
  • Good flight characteristics:
    • Very positively stable and easy to trim.
    • Respectable climb rate. Often saw around 500 fpm and I suspect that we were over the design weight and guesstimate that our density altitude at the field was over 4,000 feet (very hot day: 105 f).
  • A little less than 150 hours on the tach.
  • I believe that it first flew in 2017, so it's a pretty new example of a Cygnet.
I would also like to thank Ferd, Bill and Marc for their help today. I felt very bad to disappointment them and have to pass; they were wonderful gentlemen to deal with and very helpful.

All my very best to everyone involved in the sale of this really nice airplane!

Claude

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Sorry to hear that didn't work out for you!

For reference, what is your height and your inseam? (Recognizing that comfort is very subjective.)

BradB

Claude, thanks for that great inspection report. I’m very impressed with what I know about the SF-2A, and have been standing back to not interfere with your interest in this plane. If you don’t mind saying, what’s your height and inseam length?

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Hi.

I'm just under 6', 240 pounds and a 30" inseam. In hindsight, I think that part of the issue for me was when I was not flying and just being a passenger, I needed to move my feet and legs out of the way of both the rudder pedals and joystick, and had to do some contortion to do so especially because there's not much extra space (I think that the cockpit narrows as it moves from the shoulder to feet area).

It really is a wonderful airplane and a great deal, so I'm very sad that it didn't work for me. However, for others it could be a great purchase. For solo work, it probably would have worked well for me, but I really was looking for a plane that I could take a passenger up in and share the joy of flying and I just didn't fit well enough for that.

I hope this helps.

Claude

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Did you guys try lowering the seat sling or using a fabric sling instead of wood?
We tried adding a cushion and also seeing if it would be possible to move the lower portion of the seat farther back, but that not appear to be an easy change due to welded tubing in the way.

Claude

Zig my builder sat in his jockey shorts in Plaster of Paris until it set and built a tool to make fiberglass seat pans for my Cygnet. Super comfy although I have not done more than a 90 minute leg. This Cygnet sounds like a good find on the west coast, solid build and well equipped. I will be making arrangements to take my gross load up to 1200lbs with some paperwork and additional phase two test time. At best rate of climb I see 700-900 ft/minute solo and a solid 5-600ft per minute dual/gross. They are great airplanes while you passed you may help catch the next owner with your detailed report on equipment. NX237F was built in 1987 and currently had about 775 hours on the air frame.

Flown regular by 4 of 5 owners in it's lifetime.

Come try mine mover your legs and think about it!

The Cygnet is a room with a view in the sky!

Matt

This aircraft has been sold as of Monday Sept. 28, thanks to all who participated in this discussion.

Of note, this "chapter airplane" sale will now partially fund the NEXT EAA Chapter 40 build project, a Zenair 750 Cruzer!
Great news. Invite the new owner to reach out to me.

Matt