Quantcast

SF-2A Cygnet For Sale in SoCal - FLY it Home Today

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

Posting on behalf of EAA Chapter 40, of which I'm a member.
Aircraft being sold to fund our next chapter build project!
N440CH Cygnet E-AB, good condition
Airframe started by Bob Chitwood, Casa Grande, AZ
Finished by EAA Chapter 40, largely by members Ferd Kuhn & Bill Schirding
Flies well, very docile ground handling
70HP Revmaster, wood propeller
Low hours
Stewart Systems fabric
Fuselage fuel tank
Full VFR panel (no G-5000 big-screen TV, but completely usable)
Flying regularly
Fly it home for about 25-40% of what you would spend to build it.
Contact Ferd Kuhn (818) 415-9068
Located KWHP, Whiteman Airport, near Burbank, CA

(Original poster's note: on behalf of the World Aviation Aesthetics Association, the buyer will be required to sign an agreement to install larger tires)

Cygnet N440CH.jpg
Cygnet N440CH-2.jpg

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

They're kind of nebulous about it, but I believe ten grand in cash would pry their jaws off of it. I'm not the legal owner, so that is a partly educated guess, not a binding offer.

Also: Aircraft has electrical system, starter, etc.
I think they just put the ADS-B gadget in, not 100% sure.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
In addition to larger tires it's also going to need a little color. The blue stripes on the wing aren't doing it for me. ;-)
I agree, larger tires and some more blue trim. Nice airplane.

Victor Bravo

I think the stripes on it are dark green, but it's been a while.

It's basically a solid airplane, not a show winner by any means, but not embarrassing to show up with at all.

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Hi. First time poster; fairly new member of this forum. I am interested in the Cygnet. Have followed the design for a few years and read articles, but have never seen one up close. One question in particular I has is if I will fit? I'm just under 6' and about 240 pounds. Any thoughts? Thanks. Claude

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Claude, Matt N. known here as “103” owns and flies a Cygnet so I suggest contacting him directly by PM.

This Kitplanes article might also interest you as owner/builder Jerry Folkerts was 6’ 2” and 210 lbs at the time and reported no issues with the cockpit size.

Last edited:

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Thank you. I'll do that. And thanks for the article link.

Claude

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
There is also a cover article in Sport Aviation about 2 decades ago on the Grand Champion Plans Built airplane mentioned in this Kitplanes article. I have loved this design since Rex Taylor of HAPI was flogging it (along with the Dragonfly) to sell his engines 30 years ago. I think this is probably the best flying 2-place VW powered design, and a SCREAMING deal.

Victor Bravo

The one for sale in this thread fits me fine. I was probably about 230-240 when I flew it. I'm 5'8" or so.

Anyone who is a lot taller could still fly this, the seat is a fabric sling and can be lowered quite a bit. In a major emergency (Shaquille O'Neal) you could build a new fiberglass "cap" which goes over the pilot's head (the little bump with the 2 small windows).

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Thanks for all the help and information. I've called Ferd; we'll see how it goes. Sure sounds interesting to me. :)

Claude

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Hello Claude,

The Cygnet is in my hangar at KWHP. Ferd just told me he spoke to you. I was also very involved with the build but had to step away after 4 years when I became too busy to keep working on it. The plane is in amazing shape and has very low hours. In regards to your height and weight, if your under 6' you should be fine and the weight is fine too flying it solo. I am 6'4" and for me it's almost a no go. Headroom is fine, but getting my legs on the rudder pedals comfortably would be a problem. I never flew in it as i am not Tailwheel rated yet. I have a 35" long leg inseam so if your less than that you should be fine putting your feet on the pedals comfortably.

Marc

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Thanks, Marc. My inseam length is 30, and my height is about 5'11". Hopefully, weight wise, it could handle me and another, lighter, passenger. I can't think of anyone else that I would want to take up that would be over 200 pounds, and most are well under that. I would definitely need to spend time with an instructor to get current and very familiar with the plane (it has been years since I've flown as PIC) so would need enough weight capacity to ensure that.

Claude

Victor Bravo

The airplane has been flown successfully with two full size adult males in it.

As with any 70-75HP airplane, two people with full fuel on a 100+ degree day at a high altitude airport will result in a slow rate of climb. No different than any other airplane in this class... Ercoupe, Cub, Champ, etc.

I can guarantee that this is worth coming to take a look at. It is likely one of the easiest handling tailwheel aircraft, and being a side by side design it will be easy for the instructor to provide instruction. I have not flown the Sonex but I believe the Cygnet will be far more comfortable, better handling, easier to fly, and less expensive to insure.

Claude, what part of the country are you in?

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
VB: I'm up the coast a little in Santa Maria, so not too far away. Most of my flying will be near sea level and probably not straying too far away from home (probably won't see the east coast in it). Also, FYI, I have a commercial pilot's license, but am planning on flying as a Sport Pilot.

When I was talking with Ferd, I mentioned this thread and the $ amount you mentioned earlier (hope that's okay). He's going to talk with others about that and about when I can see the plane (either my driving down or someone bringing it up to KSMX).

Claude

Victor Bravo

Aw jeez... Santa Maria is not far at all, it's probably a one-tank trip in the Cygnet. It's definitely worth that short of a trip to see it. Looking forward to meeting you....

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Claude,

Its worth the trip to come see it if your that close. You may ask Ferd what the Useful load is as I dont know off hand. If you have a light instructor it should work. Ferd has been sprucing it up quite a bit lately and I just designed a new Compas Mount and am 3d printing it now.

1596834911698.png

ClaudeR

HBA Supporter
Thanks.

I'm very interested; mostly just waiting to hear back on when would be a good day to see it. I just sent Ferd a text with some dates that work for me next week if I drive down. If someone would rather fly it up to KSMX so I can see it, most any day would work.

Claude

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Ferd Or Bill (not VB) might be able to head your way, your only chance for a flight might be with Bill as he weighs less than Ferd. Next time I see them, I will have them run a weight and balance on you and bill and see how much remains for fuel.

Marc