Seaplane hull design developments

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Something so many people don't seen to be able to come to grips with is the stick ability of water of a hull shape !!I concave on a bottom panel and it increases drag and the stick ability !!. But turn it around the other way and all of a sudden you have rocker and rocker can be used to your advantage if you understand how to use It properly !!same with the step Its got to be used to break the water away that is sticking to the surface !! So rocker and small steps can used in combination together to good effect
Tunnels,

Would you please show us how you would modify this hull.

Help,

it it apears the hole world is being turned up side down by global warming.

Attachments

Last edited:

tunnels

Banned
china is my home , place of work but was born in N
Try a simple exsperiment with a desert spoon under a running tap ! when the water is just running moderatly hold the back of the spoon between two fingers lightly up close to the water tap and see what happens !
the water falling and hitting the back of the spoon clings to the surface and follows the spoons shape and draws the spoon further into the water flow !!
Hold the spoon further down into the water flow where the water is falling faster and feel the differeance !!
Feel how much more force is exserted on the spoon with the faster water flow !!
TURN THE SPOON OVER AND DO THE SAME THING and see what happens !!
Now the water wants to push the spoon away completely !! and quite forcable !
The faster the water flow the harder it pushes the spoon away !! all to do with changing the direction of the flow of water !!

tunnels

Banned
AH you beat me to the next reply !
Yes concave is used with great success in really fast small outboard power boats to make the boat hull ride on a cushion of air between the concaved hull bottom and the waters surface with just the very back of the hull and the outboard touching the water !!
Clever people find other peoples problems and turn then into successes by looking outside that box.
Those shapes these days are used in quite a few different ways in different parts of boats hulls like spray rails and edges of strakes to deflect water down onto the surface at speed !! By changing waters direction quickly off a rail can help to achieve a little extra lift at the same time !! When a hull has poor performance the first place i look with a really good long straight edge i look for concave hollows and bumps along all the hulls panels !!

Its a real killer of speed and takes a lot of extra power to push the hull through the water as its sucking water up and pushing down again a few times and all uses energy !!

The bigger the boat the bigger the effects it has as its moving tons of water and its amazing the difference it makes to a boats performance to have bottoms blue printed to what the should be !!

Last edited:

Himat

this is the SEA ERA !Its bits of 2 different things with a step between the two!!
What I did think too.
Until I noticed the tapered wing and tip floats.
And the SeaEra prototype have only a "bubble" canopy, no rear side window.

Himat

hydro plane ?? what do you define as hydroplane ??
I do not define a hydro plane nor a hydroplane. I might refer to a hydroplane, that could be as BJC point out a fire bombing plane, an ekranoplane, a seaplane or a surface planing on water. In some cases I would refer to a vehicle intended for unlimited hydroplane racing that may look like this:
1c6298fe6e57528c82fe9dc8a8237a46.jpg

tunnels

Banned
the old reference to that type of boat was a 3 pointer The principal of how it works is the for runner of the tunnel hull seen today ! collects air going under the front ! compresses the air and lifts the hull and holds it above the water in surface effect The air across the vast decks surface also contributes to aerodynamic lift and stability ! aerodynamic has a great effect above 60 mph

Himat

The old reference to that type of boat was a 3 pointer.
Something that bring us nicely back to aeroplanes. A "three pointer" is often said to be the action where a pilot land an aeroplane with conventional, that is one with mains and tail wheel, on the main and tail wheel simultaneously. And some of the vintage seaplanes did have three floats in a "conventional" set up, like this Sopwhith:
Sopwith_Baby.jpg

tunnels

Banned
Something that bring us nicely back to aeroplanes. A "three pointer" is often said to be the action where a pilot land an aeroplane with conventional, that is one with mains and tail wheel, on the main and tail wheel simultaneously. And some of the vintage seaplanes did have three floats in a "conventional" set up, like this Sopwhith:
View attachment 41173
And that has nothing do with it !!

tunnels

Banned
Its such a pity its never advanced in recent years as its a whole interesting place to be !!
I have been putting on paper lots of ideas and things I understand and know will work just need the place to put it all into practice !! So once I get back to China in the next few weeks will be making a metre long model all in composites to prove my design works !
SOFT RIDE HULL DESIGN , WILL BE A TUNNEL OF CAUSE , HULL PANELS THAT FLEX AND MOVE AND MAKES FOR A SOFTER TAKE OFF AND LANDING IN CHOPPY TO ROUGH WATER , ALL WEIGHT DOWN LOW AND NOT UP HIGH, FUEL TANKS WILL BE ALL COMPOSITE AND DOWN INSIDE EACH OF THE HULLS ,SHORT TAKE OFF AND EVEN SHORTER LANDINGS ARE HOT ON MY LIST , After months of searching have seen nothing that comes close to the features of composite design I have done and know it all works and works well !!

tunnels

Banned
Not an update on new developments, rather a link to what have been done: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/873851.pdf
I think it is the first paper I have found on the work done on hydrofoil undercarriages for airplanes done in the 1950'ies and 1960'ies in the USA.
Isn't there any thing more modern and up to date ?? I never even got half way through trying to read that PDF and fell off my chair asleep !! looking at endless pages of graphs and the likes does nothing for me at all .Its time to reset the clock to 2015 and shelve or even burn that old stuff and think outside that terrible box that most people have there heads inside of !!Be adventurous and live a little !! It doesn't hurt and might even crack a smile or two !!

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Isn't there any thing more modern and up to date ?? I never even got half way through trying to read that PDF and fell off my chair asleep !! looking at endless pages of graphs and the likes does nothing for me at all .Its time to reset the clock to 2015 and shelve or even burn that old stuff and think outside that terrible box that most people have there heads inside of !!Be adventurous and live a little !! It doesn't hurt and might even crack a smile or two !!
Maybe airplane design is not for you. I hear that boats are fun.