Quantcast

Rotec engines.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Eduardo Fadul

Good afternoon to all

I would like to know the experiences and general opinion about the Rotec engines.

We are working in a plane and the owner wants to use the Rotec 3600, I contact Rotec asking for the performance charts of the engine, and what a surprise I get when they told me that they do not have any kind of chart, I will be lying if I do not tell that I am worry about it.

I start to read everything that I can on the forums, and a common argument was the "fact" that, those engines never were designed in the traditional way, they only were manufactured.

In the past we worked for a while with the Rotec 2800 in the Criquet Storch, but finally the plane always flies with Continental and Rotax, so I do not have experience with this engine.

Thanks in advance

I can’t help you with your queries, noticing you are from Brazil I wonder how you guys get around importing items from abroad, we have found on a few occasions that your customs and banking local industries protectionist and laws are just unworkable to import in to Brazil as a experimentalist or a private citizen.

Doug2233

I think it is true to say that none of the Lycoming clone engines have 'performance charts' like the charts that come in the operators manual for each genuine production Lycoming engine.
Does this mean that the non genuine Lycoming are less of an engine?
I am certain each of these manufacturers have dyno tested their engines to the extent necessary to establish basic parameters to be sure their performances are as advertised.
The fact is: to establish the full scope performance charts (as Lycoming has done) is a very major and costly undertaking.
Having these charts available and a certificate from the manufacturer that a particular engine complies with these charts would be the first step in the certification process for that engine, enabling it to be installed in a certified aeroplane/airplane.

TFF

If you read the Rotec site it says they dynoed the engines; that is how they figured out they needed the gear reduction. They are not Lycoming; not even close. They are more like Vans aircraft of engines. Two brothers and their dad who figured out how to make a living at their hobby. They seem to be proof that all the other people who have engine designs are trying to score a big contract or they will not build any engines. I bet they sold their early engines at cost or just above and reinvested what they would have payed themselves back into the company to make it go just as if someone would have done in the 1960's, instead of the 1990s making money or nothing mentality.

Eduardo Fadul

Hi all

Thanks for all your inputs. Over the last two months I was talking with the personnel at Rotec and they are very friendly people.

Despite the fact that they do not have a performance chart for their 3600 engine I heard a lot of great comments from many people all over the world.

Best regards