Quantcast

Revmaster 2300 vs AeroVee 2.1

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MikePousson

Ok guys. I need some knowledge and opinions (which I'm sure there is plenty) from those of you that has used either or had both at one time are another. I've researched both. Revmaster was featured in a Contact mag which I read on the Revmaster site. Seemed like the author was impressed. I got the AeroVee assembly DVD and downloaded the assembly manual. Joe Norrris does a really good job detailing the assembly.
Now, if I knew I couldn't assemble the kit engine, it would be no choice. I'd get a Rev.
What I need from users of either is pros and cons of both. I have my take on both.

On the AV, pros would building it myself, costs (though not by much), stock VW main parts (cheaper), the dual ignition setup, and ability to upgrade to turbo.
The only con I can think of is the shrink fit prop hub and main bearing setup.

Now Revmaster. Pros are assembled and tested engine complete other than exhaust (same as AV), heavy duty oil pump with oil filter and oil bypass housing, costs ($1300 more for assembled engine), ram air available, beefier cylinders, heads, etc, dual electrical system with individually spark coils on main ignitions, and large oil supported main bearing and tapered prop hub.

Cons are properiety parts. Crank, lined bored case, cylinders, rods, heads. All equal higher repair cost.

Knowing I could tear either engine down to repair, I'd probably buy a Revmaster, but that's why I would like input.

BTW, it would be for a Sonex Onex

thanks
Mike

i couldn't find enough info on the Hummel to consider them and I tried to order the Great Plains assembly DVD and they wanted $38US postage to Ontario to send a $35 DVD. I e mailed them about it and was told they had no control on postage rates. So that ruled them out. Sonex sent me their $5 DVD and a large packet of all the it planes, plans, kit built, quick build options within 4 days International Priority at no charge.

gammaxy

I've got ~140 hours on my Aerovee 2.1 powered Sonex in about a year and a half.

The obvious "pro" for the Aerovee is how well it fits the stock Onex cowl and how well the stock baffling will work with it. I don't know much about the design of the Revmaster, but be sure you understand how all ignition and oil filter components will work with the stock cowl or whether some extra work in this area is a big deal to you.

The Revmaster bearing seems to be a quality product, but I don't know of any Aerovee owners who were not involved in prop-strikes having problems without it.

I'd be interested in how the Revmaster heads are beefier. Is valve work common?

I noticed weaker compression on a cylinder and removed the head to discover one of the exhaust valves was leaking. I re-lapped it and it's been working fine since (40 hours). I didn't notice any loss in power or have any idea how long it would have continued without a problem. There's a chance I'm at fault for this, since I believe re-torquing the head studs compressed the copper head gasket enough that I ran out of adjustment on my pushrods and may have prevented that valve from seating all the way and caused thermal damage to the sealing surface.

I feel like the cylinders on the Aerovee are pretty beefy and am unaware of any problems with them.

I think you could be happy with either engine. The Revmaster might get you a bit more speed and climb performance. There's nothing about the Aerovee that I've disliked and feel like a different VW-derived engine would do better. I took a friend up the other day and was doing 140mph in level flight with cool CHTs. To me, climb was less impressive at 80mph (probably around 500 fpm), but he couldn't tell :)

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I think you've identified most of the important differences/considerations, and gammaxy hit the remaining ones. Both engines are well proven and reputable. You'll save engine-building time if you buy the Revmaster, but you'll have to figure out for yourself how to modify the engien mount to make the Revmaster fit, do the baffling and fit the engine/exhaust into the Onex cowling, whereas all of that is already done for you if you buy the Aerovee.
The Revmaster has a lot of very well-made parts and a very good reputation. The concern, as you've identified, is the proprietary nature of their alternator system, Revflow carb, front bearing, etc. If Revmaster rolls up their carpet, you won't be able to get these bits anymore. The Aerovee has a higher %age of parts that are not custom fabricated by them, so it would be easier to get bits no matter what happens in 10-15 years. But both engines will power your Onex reliably if carefully built and cared for.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Revmaster is the oldest aero-VW engine builder in the market. For me, its a not brainer, Revmaster is a more refined engine. Hope the 3000 gets on the market soon.
Dan

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Purely out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you're not looking at Great Plains or Hummel Engines?

Midniteoyl

Purely out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you're not looking at Great Plains or Hummel Engines?
I guess he didnt like their policy on one, or lack of response on the other.

i couldn't find enough info on the Hummel to consider them and I tried to order the Great Plains assembly DVD and they wanted $38US postage to Ontario to send a $35 DVD. I e mailed them about it and was told they had no control on postage rates. So that ruled them out. Sonex sent me their $5 DVD and a large packet of all the it planes, plans, kit built, quick build options within 4 days International Priority at no charge.

MikePousson

Well, with Hummel, the website is very barebones. He gives you a price for an engine, then each add on is separately priced. Shop charges for boring the secondary plug holes, etc. it all adds up and as a novice aviation engine builder, I'm worried about leaving something out. Anything shipped to Canada is outrageous if it doesn't go thru post office. So, I want one concise order list that is all inclusive. Hummel doesn't provide that.
Great Plains is a little bit clearer but still doesn't have the whole package priced out. Plus it's under new ownership and I'm not quite sure where that is going.
Revmaster sends out an assembled, tested engine and AeroVee sends out a kit that is all inclusive. For me, they are head and shoulders above the others in that respect.

Abraham Leket

Mike- I had the same predicaments only my shipment is to IsraeI. BUT- only GP and Hummel provide 1835, 1915 cc vw (type 1) and my plane does not need the bigger 2100-2400 cc models provided by REV and AV.
If you have concerns about building one complete- try to learn what VW is and what option are given. On the shelf ready made will be an a much harder job to maintain since you will not be familiar with its components and every problem will require outside help.
I rather build one, 1835 light and economical to fit my need-thats Homebuild old school -at its best.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Mike- I had the same predicaments only my shipment is to IsraeI. BUT- only GP and Hummel provide 1835, 1915 cc vw (type 1) and my plane does not need the bigger 2100-2400 cc models provided by REV and AV.
If you have concerns about building one complete- try to learn what VW is and what option are given. On the shelf ready made will be an a much harder job to maintain since you will not be familiar with its components and every problem will require outside help.
I rather build one, 1835 light and economical to fit my need-thats Homebuild old school -at its best.
That's what I fly.

Dan

BD6

You live several time zones away from the only source of help. If the engine goes back for service it will be at least 3 months before you see it again. The argument
about fit is a good one. The Revmaster throttle body is similar to AV tricky to set up.

Tony

MikePousson

I think whichever one I use, will have a Zenith carb from Great Plains. There is no separate mixture control. Know nothing about it but am impressed with what others say about it. Hummel and Great Plains uses that carb.