• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Revmaster 2300 vs AeroVee 2.1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePousson

Ok guys. I need some knowledge and opinions (which I'm sure there is plenty) from those of you that has used either or had both at one time are another. I've researched both. Revmaster was featured in a Contact mag which I read on the Revmaster site. Seemed like the author was impressed. I got the AeroVee assembly DVD and downloaded the assembly manual. Joe Norrris does a really good job detailing the assembly.
Now, if I knew I couldn't assemble the kit engine, it would be no choice. I'd get a Rev.
What I need from users of either is pros and cons of both. I have my take on both.

On the AV, pros would building it myself, costs (though not by much), stock VW main parts (cheaper), the dual ignition setup, and ability to upgrade to turbo.
The only con I can think of is the shrink fit prop hub and main bearing setup.

Now Revmaster. Pros are assembled and tested engine complete other than exhaust (same as AV), heavy duty oil pump with oil filter and oil bypass housing, costs ($1300 more for assembled engine), ram air available, beefier cylinders, heads, etc, dual electrical system with individually spark coils on main ignitions, and large oil supported main bearing and tapered prop hub.

Cons are properiety parts. Crank, lined bored case, cylinders, rods, heads. All equal higher repair cost.

Knowing I could tear either engine down to repair, I'd probably buy a Revmaster, but that's why I would like input.

BTW, it would be for a Sonex Onex

thanks
Mike

i couldn't find enough info on the Hummel to consider them and I tried to order the Great Plains assembly DVD and they wanted $38US postage to Ontario to send a $35 DVD. I e mailed them about it and was told they had no control on postage rates. So that ruled them out. Sonex sent me their $5 DVD and a large packet of all the it planes, plans, kit built, quick build options within 4 days International Priority at no charge.

Back