• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Reports of a near midair at SFO (airline 777 vs Aeronca Chief)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcj

Supporting Member
I just read about a reported near midair (they call it a near miss) between a United Airlines 777 and an Aeronca Chief. The report says that they passed within about 200 feet of each other and that the "airline took evasive maneuvers", but I think they both took evasive maneuvers since the Chief was reported to be in a tight turn away from the airline.

What struck me as odd about this report is that it (reportedly) occured during the airline's initial climbout as it passed through 1,000 feet. This places it very close to the runway. It further goes on to say that both had been advised of the other and that the pilot of the Chief had been told to drop in "behind" the airline. They don't say if the Chief was inbound or outbound, but here's where it gets screwy... First, why are they departing a 777 with a Chief just off the end of the runway? Second, how do they propose that the Chief, which is in front of the quickly approaching 777, maneuver around the airline? Third, why would you instruct a lightweight Chief to drop in behind a climbing 777 "Heavy"? This is a recipe for disaster!

NTSB is investigating and I'm sure the facts will look much different from the initial reports, but initial reports can do a lot of PR damage.

Bruce :tired:

Back