Quantcast

Refinishing gliders

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Foundationer

Mine's getting a bit close to that time I think (LS6A 15m). I could have a crack at doing the leading edges and the tailplane myself to add a few more years onto it but then I could just get the whole thing done properly...

Anyone had this done recently & got ballpark figures for cost / a recommendation for a good european refinisher?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Hansjorg Striefeneder (nickname "Hunko") was thee leading guy in Germany, but that \was more years ago than I would like to admit, and there may be other people who have taken his place as the "go to" guy (or girl). Go to the nearest Akaflieg and they will be able to send you to the right person. Actually, going to an Akaflieg you may find a group of students that are qualified to do it as a class project, measuring the improvement from pre-refinish to post-refinish.

mm4440

There are shops in various parts of the country that repair and maintain composite sailplanes and and are the go to people for Cirrus repair. Most advertise in the Soaring classifieds. You are a SSA member or know one?

Foundationer

There are 6 in current issue. What state are you in? Is your London in England?
Yep - my London is in England!
There are loads to choose from - Poland, Slovakia:
http://refinish.pl/
https://www.gliderservice-novak.si/

Just wondering if anyone has personal experience // done some of it themselves. Plenty of very nice looking refinished gliders around the club so been asking there as well - trying to fill in the big picture.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I refinished the Grob (avatar)
It takes hundreds of hours sanding the failed gelcoat down to glass without getting into the glass. And then building it back up. Far worse than a metal Cessna that only has about two fiberglass parts if any. On the Grob I did one part at a time over a period of years. And I was a pro airplane refinisher. Will never refinish another again, to many hours.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I refinished the Grob (avatar)
It takes hundreds of hours sanding the failed gelcoat down to glass without getting into the glass. And then building it back up. Far worse than a metal Cessna that only has about two fiberglass parts if any. On the Grob I did one part at a time over a period of years. And I was a pro airplane refinisher. Will never refinish another again, to many hours.
The curse of being a sailplane perfectionist!

BJC

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The curse of being a sailplane perfectionist!

BJC
Yeah, it's so much easier to rip old fabric off and install new fabric. If a composite surface isn't fully molded to high perfection, it looks worse than a fabric or metal airplane.