Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Usually, the nosewheel strut is angled 10-15° forward. Cessna, Piper, etc. See diagram page 216 of Design For Flying.

That doesn't look like a free castering type that trails behind.

TarDevil

Per Peter...

"Ok this statement will fire up the peanut gallery. I plan to take it into ground effect ONLY if there are no odd tendencies and I'm able to comfortably hold the nose wheel off for a decent stretch without any sign of loss of control. After that I'm handing it over to Justin and Elliot."
Best case scenario, in my opinion, being Peter substantially damages Raptor trying to hold the nose wheel off (I personally think he'll leap in the air) and walks away from the crumbled remains. No one dies. Investors loose.

I don't wish failure on anyone but this is such an obvious death trap.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
+1 that he'll be airborne before he intends to be. Hopefully, he won't damage himself but only the aircraft.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I was browsing through the FAA operating limitations for EA-B in FAA Order 8130.2j.
It looks like this unusual design is likely to be issued an operating limitation ordering testing at an airport that has the proper room and facilities for safe testing.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
... "Ok this statement will fire up the peanut gallery. I plan to take it into ground effect ONLY if there are no odd tendencies and I'm able to comfortably hold the nose wheel off for a decent stretch without any sign of loss of control. After that I'm handing it over to Justin and Elliot." ...
Oy. A willingness to "take it into ground effect" even once, with a lot of adrenaline, poor judgement, and YouTube audience pressure, can turn into, "I'm just going to take it around the airport once," all too easily.

I. Do. Not. Like. This.

flyboy2160

Oy. A willingness to "take it into ground effect" even once, with a lot of adrenaline, poor judgement, and YouTube audience pressure, can turn into, "I'm just going to take it around the airport once," all too easily.

I. Do. Not. Like. This.
:p Who cares what YOU think? You're just part of the peanut gallery. What do you know, anyway, compared to Youtube Peter The Great?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
:p Who cares what YOU think? You're just part of the peanut gallery. What do you know, anyway, compared to Youtube Peter The Great?
With no offense intended for you at all: Gently, please. This guy could really get himself hurt or killed. I get all the issues, largely agree with many of them, and that he's pretty much brought this situation upon himself, but this really isn't a flippant sort of subject. His hubris is very likely to end very badly, and I sincerely hope either something breaks and keeps him from attempting flight, or someone - wife, girlfriend, kid, parents, friends, coworkers, someone - stops him before this goes from "ill-conceived and researched build project" to the evening news.

Last edited:

pictsidhe

We all know diddly squat about building aeroplanes. I mean, just where are our youtube fans?

Anyway, I've put popcorn on my shopping list for if Peter gets past the shimmy and any other design quirks preventing him from reaching 100kts.

Kyle Boatright

I was browsing through the FAA operating limitations for EA-B in FAA Order 8130.2j.
It looks like this unusual design is likely to be issued an operating limitation ordering testing at an airport that has the proper room and facilities for safe testing.
Cherokee County has a 5,000' runway and good approaches. In addition it is in a relatively unpopulated area. I can't see the FAA having a problem with using it for the Raptor's flight testing. Arguably, there is one field within 50 or so miles that is slightly better, but I can't see the FAA pushing them there.

pictsidhe

With no offense intended for you at all: Gently, please. This guy could really get himself hurt or killed. I get all the issues, largely agree with many of them, and that he's largely brought this upon himself, but this really isn't a flippant sort of subject. His hubris is very likely to end very badly, and I sincerely hope either something breaks and keeps him from attempting flight, or someone - wife, girlfriend, kid, parents, friends, coworkers, someone - stops him before this goes from "ill-conceived and researched build project" to the evening news.
Perhaps the nosegear will stump him. But the impending calamitous engine failure is probably required before takeoff to stop our hero from flying. He has been babying it...
Some people just can't take advice. I was wondering if he would run out of cash, but I suspect that he has been investing some of the substantial salary that he has no doubt been earning the last few years to get 'er done.

Kyle Boatright

Do they have crash and rescue equipment?
No. The only two airports within 100 miles of there with crash and rescue equipment are Hartsfield and Dobbins, I think. For obvious reasons, neither is an option. I can think of other unique designs which have made first flights locally without unusual stipulations like fire and rescue, so I don't know why this one would be different.

Kyle Boatright

The FAA may not require rescue equipment, but he could ask the local fire department to stand by.
No doubt. Plus several friends with fire extinguishers and saws.

I think the real question is whether he'll find someone who will take on the first flight. I just can't see anyone who understands the situation taking that on.

Venom

Let's make a gentlemanly, friendly wager. I'll take the opposite view: I don't think he will realize anything about his competence slowly. He will continue blithely along his know-it-all-don't-bother-with-engineering-I'll-just-try-it until there is a major catastrophe that is inescapable and that he can't Youtube away.
OK, I am interested in your wager.....however, you must give odds....REALLY good odds because you are probably right. A major catastrophe is in the cards.