Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cblink.007

What happen. Last Cox .049 that I bought was $2.99. Do people really pay those prices for a new one ? My first gas engine was a Atwood .049 then a O&R, then a Forester 31, then a Fox 35, etc, etc. Also a GHQ ignition and a Rogers ignition and a Cox diesel.

I have a old model airplane friend in Pa that has a Model Airplane engine collection. I have given him dozens of my engines.
Wow. Just saw that site. $249 for a single engine? I remember when they cost $25...and you could go directly to Cox (they had a small store at the factory) in Santa Ana and pick it up!

Reactions: TFF

TFF

Those are really for completing a collection. Except a couple of nuts like me almost no one is flying a glow engine of any sort.

cblink.007

Those are really for completing a collection. Except a couple of nuts like me almost no one is flying a glow engine of any sort.
Not to prolong this sidebar, but my testing model was originally intended for glow power, but ultimately went electric. Cleaner and consistent power output (needed for power scaling test points).

Anyways, I heard the Raptor made a brief runway hop worthy of a pair of brown pants the other day?

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
I've got a collection :) Some have never been run. Some cubic inch stuff and all the way down to .010. Why, cause I just can't dump them yet. Some day.

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
What happen. Last Cox .049 that I bought was $2.99.
If Cox stopped making engines, then the price can skyrocket because of availability.

Someone mentioned the Cox PT-19 and P-51. It was probably the Cox plane that originally fueled my appreciation for the Fairchild PT-19, but the plastic cox model didn’t fly very well (but my 72” Sig RC PT-19 I built later flew great).

If the P-51 they referenced was the one with hollow foam wings, it did fly much better than the solid plastic models, but it didn’t look that much like a P-51.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
So when is Cox going to come out with a control line version of the Raptor???

Come to think of it, I can’t recall ever seeing a control line canard design, though I did build a few three surface planes, including a three surfaced flying wing based on the Goldberg Satan).

Has anyone seen a control line canard?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I predict a split-off of the recent model based post into their own thread. Anyone wanna give me odds on that?

Wild Bill

And these stories are true. In the 2003 Airventure cup race (100th anniversary of the WB) the race flew through a gate at Aurora airport at 500 ft. AGL. It happened that there was a cloud of gnats there, so ALL the planes got extremely contaminated. Some of the canards with GU airfoils later had to declare emergencies while landing at OSH, with a couple unable to maintain IAS's below 120 KIAS in level flight. I'd say that this HUGE trim change response
So in this particular aircraft, the pilot was holding full up elevator in level flight at that speed?
That would definitely be alarming.

What I was referring to as being blown out of proportion was the stories of in flight breakups, and diving into the ground at 200knots with full up elevator.

I have no way of knowing if the things I heard from others had much truth to them, or if things got exaggerated.
Are there any known NTSB cases where contaminated canards led to fatal crashes?

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
So in this particular aircraft, the pilot was holding full up elevator in level flight at that speed? That would definitely be alarming.
That was my understanding from talking to the pilots that had the issues. Full aft stick (not just full back trim) and the plane would hold 120 KIAS level. This, in a plane with a normal clean canard stall speed of 55 - 60 KIAS.

What I was referring to as being blown out of proportion was the stories of in flight breakups, and diving into the ground at 200knots with full up elevator.
I am not aware of any such stories or any such crashes. They don't make aerodynamic sense. I'd be interested in the origin of those stories...

I have no way of knowing if the things I heard from others had much truth to them, or if things got exaggerated. Are there any known NTSB cases where contaminated canards led to fatal crashes?
Not of which I'm aware (which doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I do not recall a writeup of any such accidents in the Canard Pusher, CSA newsletter, or any other publication regarding canard aircraft.

canardlover

So when is Cox going to come out with a control line version of the Raptor???

Come to think of it, I can’t recall ever seeing a control line canard design, though I did build a few three surface planes, including a three surfaced flying wing based on the Goldberg Satan).

Has anyone seen a control line canard?
Yes,my late father and I built a couple 1/2 A sized control line Velocity's and one as a free flight model with a Tee Dee .020.All flew very well. Wish I had pics ,but we were never ones to fawn over our own creations.

pictsidhe

That was my understanding from talking to the pilots that had the issues. Full aft stick (not just full back trim) and the plane would hold 120 KIAS level. This, in a plane with a normal clean canard stall speed of 55 - 60 KIAS.

I am not aware of any such stories or any such crashes. They don't make aerodynamic sense. I'd be interested in the origin of those stories...

Not of which I'm aware (which doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I do not recall a writeup of any such accidents in the Canard Pusher, CSA newsletter, or any other publication regarding canard aircraft.
One VariEz broke up in flight, with wreckage over a large area. It was surmised that the pilot had tried to climb over some weather, then passed out and pointed the aircraft downwards. Perhaps that was the basis of one break up rumour.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
No video in a few days. Im hoping it doesnt show up on kathyrns report.
Or, as the creator of the project has actually said in a recent video, there may be a delay of a few days for weather or whatever reason. I'm no defender of the project (aka cheapracer's white knight squad) but geez, nobody assumes Elon Musk has gone tango uniform just because he doesn't make headlines for several consecutive days. Give the guy some breathing space to fail before you speculate he isn't posting because his reported demise is forthcoming Kathryn's report.

cheapracer

Log Member
We've been getting hammered by Sally in Panama City for the past three days. I wouldn't be surprised if VLD is getting some effects as well.
Dar - am!

I'm psychotic, err I mean psychic!

Last week I jokingly posted: Raptor headlines today: "Typhoon closes airport!".

there may be a delay of a few days for .. whatever reason.

I'm no defender of the project (aka cheapracer's white knight squad)
We'll just call you Sir Kumstance anyway.