Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
The second flight doesn't look any better. It's getting scarier. Appears there's a problem with either the aircraft, or the pilot. The weather was gusty or whatever? That's on the pilot for accepting unfavorable conditions.

flywheel1935

Dragging Brakes (again ???)
Just watched the latest YT vid, at exactly 6.00 & 6.13 secs the right wheel is leaving skid marks on the runway, the legs seem to have little fore and aft support, as he's already had issues with the right leg about 9 months ago ( Wild Ride. Vid) sure he's still 'riding' the brakes, hence the skid marks, and still no 'bone dome', but guess he's fine with that.🙄

Revised comment !!! I see has now got a bone dome, but not in the first part of the VT Video, But I still maintain the brakes are dragging, as per Wasabis comment ref ergonomics of the rudder pedals.:pilot:

Last edited:

TFF

I don’t think that was brake dragging, that’s slamming it down. So hard that the tire does not roll, but flattens and skids.

As for being a CFI, he needs to go practice some cross wind landings.

If I was having a question it would be the aileron circuit. As relativity sensitive as the elevator is, I think the aileron circuit is stretching and not giving control like he is expecting. It’s why he guesses with lateral balance. Most planes are not symmetrical weight latterly. His was not abnormal. He is probably putting in a lot more control at the stick than he wants.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don’t think that was brake dragging, that’s slamming it down. So hard that the tire does not roll, but flattens and skids.
At about 2:52, it looks like a stroboscopic effect that causes the wheel to appear to be stationary momentarily. Watch it at quarter speed, and notice that it appears to be spinning one way, then stationary, then the other. If the brake were truly dragging enough to skid the tire, that would be an awful lot of stiction and there would certainly be a flat spot.

lelievre12

HBA Supporter
I looked at

22:35 was 17 knots (GPS)
22:58 was 85 knots (GPS)

23 seconds for 68 knot speed increase.

That = 5 ft/sec2 acceleration

Which is about exactly what JetGuy calculated in Raptor Composite Aircraft

Way low for a GA aircraft.

Rik-

I looked at

22:35 was 17 knots (GPS)
22:58 was 85 knots (GPS)

23 seconds for 68 knot speed increase.

That = 5 ft/sec2 acceleration

Which is about exactly what JetGuy calculated in Raptor Composite Aircraft

Way low for a GA aircraft.
The only “Honest” thing that we know in this situation is that Peter is pulling back in the throttle as you can hear the engine unload after he gets going and yet everyone is taking the #’s for maximum when we don’t know exactly what he’s doing. Trying to stay on the runway or trying to get the pig up?

He lifted off at what 90 mph? Yet he was trying to not go to fast so I don’t feel we can pontificate what ifs all that accurately.

pictsidhe

Banned
There are
The only “Honest” thing that we know in this situation is that Peter is pulling back in the throttle as you can hear the engine unload after he gets going and yet everyone is taking the #’s for maximum when we don’t know exactly what he’s doing. Trying to stay on the runway or trying to get the pig up?

He lifted off at what 90 mph? Yet he was trying to not go to fast so I don’t feel we can pontificate what ifs all that accurately.
I think he has switched to knots. 90 doesn't sound as bad as 100...

cheapracer

Log Member
Either it's moving up as well and his cable system is inadequate,
I think the slow reaction of the inadequate aileron system is actually saving him from a big pilot induced moment/incident on the last 2 runs.

That and the horrendous weight of the thing just making it slow to react to his inputs.

TFF

I think he is still scared to load the engine. Wasabi wanted more pitch in fine position and he accommodated until he dumped them. I think he is limiting the potential for it to really go, not that it’s going to go much better, but I think he is scared to load the drive with max torque. I think he is keeping it extra fine. If he gets really going, at some point pitch will start being a speed brake while overspeeding the engine.

Venom

As many have stated in the past; the airplane will most likely fly and will probably be flown. But at 3200 pounds stripped down and 180 cubic inches the airplane is simply not viable and will not find funding to move forward. Virtually everything aft of the firewall is non aviation, home grown and Rube Goldberg. Things WILL fail. Hopefully, like the original engine flex coupler, the inevitable failures will be progressive in nature and give him some warning. If not then he is going to be using that rocket and the Raptor project will conclude........There is that any better Supermoderator Bill?

Last edited:

rv6ejguy

I did calcs on hp based on the acceleration and static thrust tests months months ago and came up with around 225-250- far short of his 400ish hp estimates.

The gear leg attachments look mighty flexible to me and that prop got pretty close to the ground there from the video.

One question for my US friends here, can someone qualify for insurance without a minimum number of flight hours in the previous year? I've never seen Peter mention anything about flying to stay current though I might have missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.