Rangemarking (Internally)

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by recmob, Jan 25, 2020.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 25, 2020 #1

recmob

recmob

recmob

Does anyone have experience on opening up ASI's and applying rangemarks they could share? Not so much on opening the gauge, but on actually applying the markings where they look right.

I've searched HBA, Google, and Youtube and surprisingly couldn't find anything. A/S offers it for an additional $125.00 and my current vendor rangemarks their ASI's (for a specific aircraft) for only a few dollars over the cost of the ASI - but they are always back ordered.

This is for a homebuilt, so TSO does not apply here.

2. Jan 25, 2020 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

The factory probably screen prints them. I say some testors model paint and som masking tape. Alternate is the stick on glass that places sell. Don’t have to crack it open for that.

3. Jan 25, 2020 #3

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

As of two years ago, UMA charged just $55 extra per gauge to custom screen print the face and needle color on a 3-1/8” ASI or ALT in the color and with the markings requested, even suggesting I send in the automotive engine gauges I was trying to match so they could get the colors right. I would reach out directly to UMA to ask if you could send in your gauges to have range markings added at the factory, you might be surprised. That is, if we are talking about UMA gauges.

4. Jan 27, 2020 #4

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

I had to put markings on my new airspeed, recmob. Just bought the colored strips in the appropriate radius from Aircraft $pruce. Used non-FAA approved scissors for trimming, though... :)

Pops and akwrencher like this.
  5. Feb 4, 2020 #5

recmob

recmob

recmob

Thanks all. I've (in a pinch) applied the stick on color arcs, but it always looks like a afterthought after building the custom panels for the customers. Just doesn't look professional after making everything else look so nice. I'll contact UMA.

6. Feb 5, 2020 #6

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Absolutely, recmob. This was on my own plane and I was more interested in accuracy and compliance rather than appearance. Please share with us how it all came out. I would appreciate knowing your technique.