Ragwing Rw8 pt2s

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Brian Clayton

Time to start a new project. After shopping around for various incomplete projects and inexpensive colts and the like, I decided to just build my own 2 seater with dual controls. Why a ragwing? For one they are inexpensive and easy to build. All of Roger Mann's designs are pretty much the same for structure, and since I have already built one (rw7 ultralight), I have some experience already with the plans and basic structure. The tail in the plans is identical to my RW7 ultralight, which is handy since I still have the jigs leaned up against the wall. Various engines will work in the 2 seat version, from a rotax 503 to a 65 cont. Plus, it will interesting to see how long this will take and how cheap this can be done. A preliminary guess, I think I will come in under 6,000. We will see. Wood.... I have not decided quite yet what I will use for the structure, but I am leaning toward yellow poplar. Why? Because there is a wood molding mill about 15 minutes from where I work in TN that may have some suitable wood. We will see next week when I pay them a visit. The first thing I bought was a set of plans....50.00. Downloaded from Rogermann.org. After looking them over, I realize I have to build the stretch fuse (for heavier engines) and the 40" wide fuse. No problem. Next, I needed some plywood for the fuse. 2 sheets of 3mm (fuse sides) and a sheet of 6mm (firewall and seat). Shopping around, I found a supplier of Okume ply outside of Atlanta that will save me a bit over A Spruce. Only a hour away, I drove up there yesterday and picked up 3 sheets for 212.00. Found a set of nice looking set of dual rudder pedals with master cylinders on Ebay for 100.00. They are on the way. Missed out on the tailwheel and spring I was bidding on by a dollar at the last minute.....Oh well, something will turn up or I can make one like the plans show. Ordered some t88 from spruce last night, one quart was about 40.00 if I remember right. I have some 1.5 and 3mm ply left over from my ultralight build, so I think I already have enough for the wing rib gussets and the caps for the center section. Got to order a bit of aluminum channel, tubing and bolts for the cabanes and center section..... Have not decided on landing gear yet, thinking about rigid wood/ply legs and some big tires. I had found a new aluminum gear a while back for a ch701 for 300.00 that I wish I would have bought....it would be handy now. Like the tailwheel, something will turn up. I have a 11 or 12 gallon aluminum tank at the shop, with a sender, that I think will fit just fine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Brian Clayton

My rudder pedals...$T2eC16VHJHwFG1Kcgw4(BSHRjBUt!g~~60_57.jpg what they looked like in the picture anyway. :) Seller said they were out of a 2005 Stingsport, whatever that is. I told him I would be interested in the control stick assemblies too, if they are scrapping the plane out. They look like they might work, and they will save me some time. We will see when they come in next week.

Last edited:

Brian Clayton

Engines. I have been looking at engine choices. Well, seeing what is used in my price range on barnstormers. What I want is a 65 hp cont. I have found one, removed for a 85hp upgrade, with all the accessories down to the air cleaner assembly, for 1,500. Plus its close to me. I am up for just about any engine in the 60-70 hp range/weight, but I can say this.... I am not going to re-invent the wheel by using some oddball engine. If I had all the time in the world, fine. But I just want to bolt up and go, not fight with weight, fitment, PRSU's and those sort of problems. Considered a VW, but I have a feeling it would be borderline on power for this airframe, unless it was one of the big stroker engines. I may go 2 stroke, like a 583 if I find one for a good deal, but I am not crazy about it. I am not married to any engine yet, still shopping.....

Brian Clayton

I got back to Tennessee last night (where my hanger and shop are). This afternoon I dug around in my ultralight leftovers.... Found enough 1.5mm ply for wing rib gussets. Also, I think I found enough 3mm ply for the wing center section caps and enough 1/4" birch ply for assorted odds and ends. Checked my extra aluminum tank and it looks like it will fit.....holds 11 gallons. Wing tanks would be nice, but I don't really want to spend a fortune or the time building them. Ehh, maybe a ebay or barnstormers deal will pop up. I kept thinking about what I was going to use for front wheels/brakes..... until I got to my hanger last night and looked at my ultralight. Perfect! When I bought the used VP1 gear for my UL, it came with a set of aluminum axles, 6.00 x 6 wheels and brakes. I was going to just run the wheels and tires without brakes, but this is a good reason to change them. I noticed northern tool sells azuza wheels and cable brakes in their go cart/ultralight airplane department, so when I get to the landing gear on the RW8, I will just build some new axles and swap out the wheels on my UL. The more I think about it, I think I will just build gear legs like a fly baby and run some big tires. Now I just need a tailwheel and spring assembly. Plans call for a 1/2" x 3" 6061 flat bar spring, but I think I would rather have a normal multi-leaf spring and aircraft tailwheel instead of a caster on this one.

Brian Clayton

Of all the luck.... There is a guy on barnstormers in south east florida , giving a set of RW8/RW11 wings away. I emailed him and told him I would not be back in town for a week or so, did he mind if I emailed him then to see if he still had them. Heck, I started to offer to buy them from him if he would wait. They would sure save a lot of time if they are not junk. Anyone in south florida want to pick them up for me? :)

Brian Clayton

Well, I got lucky and the guy still has the wings. I am driving down today to pick them up. I have my fingers crossed that I am not driving 1000 miles round trip to pick up 15 minutes worth of firewood. They look good in the picture and the owner said they look good up close too. Plus, I think he said he has some extra covering supplies he is throwing in too. Regardless, who doesn't like a road trip? Here is one of the pics he sentimage.jpg

Brian Clayton

Well, a 980 mile round trip in the rain done. Of course the very "amorous" bugs were out in force. I wish I had a camera phone, I would have taken a picture of the tattered plastic covering the wings after the first 50 miles to show to the next person that wants to know if you can cover a airplane wing with plastic. :) The duct tape held up pretty well though. After a brief inspection when I unloaded the wings in the shop, I am pleased. They need some repair, but I have no complaints. Sitka ribs, fir spar caps, and misc bits, birch ply, t88 glue. At least they have already been varnished (with something), so they don't have any water damage from years of storage. I think they were worth the trip, they should save me a good bit of time. The owner was a nice guy, had a nice looking VW powered kitfox in the hanger.