Quantcast

Radial Rocket Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dudewanarace

Hello everyone, this is my first post at HombuiltAirplanes.com I have been looking for places to market this aircraft. Seems many people don't know much about it, trying to spread the word.

We have a new Demo Radial Rocket in the works, so the old Demo is now available for sale. If you don't know much about the Radial Rocket, check out these two websites

Radial Sales.com
Radial Rocket.com

The aircraft has 275 hours Total Time on airframe, 360 HP M14P 9 cyilnder radial engine and 98" MT prop. The new demo is looking more and more like an airplane every day, so we are motivated to sell N346R.

$204K o.b.o.
Contact information on both websites, or
Jeff jdair@sbcglobal.net
Tom dudewanarace@yahoo.com
913-390-8900

Thanks!

Attachments

spayellownsx

Good morning,

What avionics does it have? I understand that depending on when the kit was built,each composite airplane has a temperature limit it can be in... do you know the ambient temperature limit is for this plane? Thank you.

Last edited:

Dudewanarace

Good morning,

What avionics does it have? I understand that depending on when the kit was built,each composite airplane has a temperature limit it can be in... do you know the ambient temperature limit is for this plane? Thank you.
As for avionics, is has the standard stuff except a Garmin 196 hard mounted rather than a nav radio and CDI. This can be switched for any of the x96 gps units. 1 com radio, transponder, analog engine instruments, fuel flow, g meter.. See panel pic attached.

As for the for the temperature range.. That is not a concern for our aircraft. All of the main Radial Rocket parts are cured in our computer controlled oven. This process that involves "stepping" the temperature up to 250 degrees resulting in the best curing possible, something that most homebuilders are not capable of doing. Many other composite aircraft are now done the same way. That is why Lancair painted one of the first 320's bright red, to show off that temperature was no longer an issue. Now, that being said, I wouldn't paint it black and leave it outside for 10 years either..

Also, most of the pictures above were taken in the afternoon with the sun low, the cowling looks very dark red. It does vary on the lighting conditions, but most of the time it is very bright red. See the other pic attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

spayellownsx

Good afternoon,
Have you done any additions or mods to your m14-P? What were you able to do to stop oil leaks around the cylinders on the lower side?

Dudewanarace

This M14P only has a few modifications. It has been converted to automotive style plug wires. This was a big help at high altitude. The quick drain kit has been installed so you can drain any oil out of the lower 3 intake pipes before you start the engine. It is also required that you pull all 9 cylinders past top dead center before starting. This is to make sure you do not have oil in a cylinder that will hydrolock. It does have a scavenge pump that is run after shutdown. This lowers the risk of oil in the lower cylinders, but it is still required that you pull the engine over to be sure.

It does not have any oil leaks around the lower cylinders.

spayellownsx

Good morning again,
Thank you for the reply. I guess my question is does your M14p leak anywhere else, not including the lower cylinders? Maybe a better word than leak is "drip". This has been an issue for me in considering this plane. I have not seen a Yak or M14-p that didn't leak or drip oil somewhere. It seems to be inherent in the design.

Last edited:

Dudewanarace

Well, I would say it is something that is inherent to to all radials. Sort of the nature of the beast. Now I can't say this one is spotless, but it is pretty close. The oil you probably see dripping is probably the intake pipe drains, or even directly out of the exhaust. That is very common also. Radials use oil, that is just how it is. We have located a company that can do a top end overhaul with different rings. That should "clean" things up a bit, and give more horsepower. But, with only 275 hours on the engine, it is probably not worth taking apart now. If we leave the aircraft parked in the hanger we hang a little tin cup off the exhuast. Works like a little catch can. It only catches a small amount of oil, but keeps the floor clean. Easy fix.

spayellownsx

Good morning again,

Have you been able to keep track of oil consumption? About how much does it use per hour? What oil do you use?

Dudewanarace

Sorry for the late reply.. Was at the airport all weekend playing around.

Oil consumption could be anywhere from 0 to 1 quart per hour. It all depends how you run the engine. High power aerobatics leads to more oil consumption. This is probably true with about any aircraft engine.

We use Aeroshell W100 SAE 50 weight oil.

t51pilot

Radials look and sound cool but everyone I know that has one or worked on one wishes they hadn't bought/built one. Too many headaches, too much preflight, too finicky, burns too much oil, and leaks all over.

Dudewanarace

Uhhhh well..

275 hours, haven't fixed anything. Sure you have to pull the blades to check for hydrolock, but that isn't that big a deal. This doesn't leak a drop outside of the intake drains (when needed) and a little drip out of the exhaust.

A quart every 2-3 hours in cruise isn't bad either. Not much worse than my XP-400SRE..

Not trying to argue, just pointing out that this radial isn't like an old worn out T-6 or something.

Reduced to $189,000

spayellownsx

Sorry about that, I was asking this question to the guy that was commenting on radial engines, and his input about leaks and operation.

t51pilot

Well, like I said, they look and sound cool- but, do yourself a favor, and go to your FBO and look where the crop dusters are parked and look for the oil drips- better yet, talk to the pilots and owners, and get their opinions.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Maybe this isn't the place to advertise this aircraft.... :ermm:
Nothing wrong with advertising it here... you may find a buyer. A better place to advertise might be Barnstormers. They have a larger audience that is already in the shopping mode. Still, no harm in posting it here too... after all, this the "for sale" section.

Well, like I said, they look and sound cool- but, do yourself a favor, and go to your FBO and look where the crop dusters are parked and look for the oil drips- better yet, talk to the pilots and owners, and get their opinions.
T51, you seem to have an obvious bias against radials and appear to be trying to thwart this sale. Sure, many radials leak oil, but I have seen some well maintained ones that keep this to a minimum. The biggest leaks tend to be below the oldest and hardest run workhorses. Other engine configurations can leak oil too, so radials are not alone in this issue.

It sounds to me as if Dudewanarace has been honest and forthright in his answers to Spayellownsx. No reason to disclaim what he says; all that might need stating is that radials can, and often do, lose oil due to having some of the cylinders inverted.

Spayellownsx, there is an outfit in Kingman, Arizona that deals with M-14 engines. You could ask them some general questions for a second opinion. Their website is Inverted.US. I'm sure ther are a great many other sources around that also have M-14 experience... I just listed this one off the top of my head.

Bruce :)

t51pilot

I hope it didn't come out that way; as I said, I love the look and sound of the radial. If it is a radial you want, then by all means go for it! Just make sure that you do the research on each powerplant before commiting. Also, go look at the Vans AF website on the people that have flown radials. Either way, have fun in your research and building! The Radial Rocket is a nice looking plane.