Quantcast

Radial engine oil consumption

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheeka

Is the oil consumption on a radial engine high only because of poor scavenging from the crankcase? Have they been completely phased out or are there new designs being developed?

TFF

Except for the small ones for the homebuilt or RC communities, nothing new is being designed. Turbines killed the radial engine long ago. They leak oil mostly from period when manufactured. That and oil was cheap. Modern overhauls of most radials have pretty acceptable consumption. Sitting, they still have lower cylinder drain back concerns, but that is just operating a radial.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reminds me of my Jeep, "It's not leaking, it's just marking its territory."

Radials once were the best way to get adequate cooling in large displacement piston engines without going to the complications of liquid cooling, at the cost of aerodynamic drag and mechanical complexity. Nowadays, turbine engines have all but completely taken over the high power applications, so radials are mostly relegated to nostalgia applications, with no real technological advances.

Dana

Chris In Marshfield

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Some Heli friends said the same about the H-46 in the Navy. If it's leakin', it's workin'. It's when it stops leakin' that you start worryin'.

That said, I loves me some round engine.