Quantcast

Question About Running 50/50 Blend of Aeroshell and Synthetic

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

HomeBuilt101

I am considering running a 50/50 blend of Aeroshell 100W conventional oil and 15W-50 synthetic.

Yes I heard that pure synthetic was tried in 100 LL AVGAS engines and there was problems because the synthetic oil did not have detergent properties and it was not washing away the contaminants so running 100 percent synthetic is most likely not good.

That is disappointing because the lubrication properties and warm oil viscosity of synthetic oil is superior to the conventional oil...so what does the collective think about a 50/50 blend??? It would be able to achieve the best of both products.

Has there been any studies on this thought with respect to AVGAS 100 LL engines?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know, but I bet it's been discussed on the Pilots of America forum, you might want to poke around there.

From what I've heard the big problems with synthetic aircraft oils were some years with the early Mobil 1 aviation oil. Presumably today's players, Aeroshell and Philips, have got it right by now.

I forget the exact thought process but when I was looking at oils I concluded the synthetic oils didn't really offer any advantage for me.

TiPi

Log Member
What generally happens is the synthetic oil properties get degraded to the mineral oil level as the mineral base oil is now the lowest common denominator. The synthetic portion is just wasted.

TFF

Run any modern ashless dispersant once engine is broken in. Oil is like religion. List of oils in descending order as I use them. Phillips 20-50xc, Aeroshell 100, Aeroshell 15/50. Unlike turbine oil, mixing causes no problems. I use to mix in cars when there was no option. I would put some cam guard in if that makes you feel better. What is on the market now is OK with 100LL.