Quality ANC hearing protection for $40 or or Compound ANC for $400

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jonathan Baron who owns Shark Aero introduced a Low Cost Aviation ANC Concept in a Follow up Video he built a case for protecting your ears.

Training in my Cygnet SF2A I found the VW without a muffler makes for a loud cockpit. I elected to implement Jonathans idea with what was a $40 set of Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 because I liked 40+ hours on one AAA battery very effective when added to my trusty Passive David Clark 10-13.4 headset.

Over the past two years Jonathan and I traded notes and the Idea evolved to include buds under David Clarks up fitted with HeadSets INC ANR kit.
I call it Compound ANC.

For about $200 your DC will have new life with high end ANR. The concept of compounding this with the original idea yields a synergy with the ANR headset filtering the low frequency spectrum and the buds canceling the higher spectrum.

My DC needed a new mic for PIC duty but would be fine for a passenger. The cost to fix and upgrade approached the $350 cost of a new DRE6001 headset.

I elected to buy the DRE-6001 for great comfort, Passive and Active Noise Cancellation. The build quality is superb. Made and Supported in the USA check them out.

I ported my ear buds over and I am shocked by the sound of silence! I have attached a few pictures of how I did it I am sure there are other better methods.

Jonathan has much more time working with this concept while I will say protect your ears Jonathan sums up the approach as below.

"That combination is profoundly quieter and more comfortable than a Bose, DC One X, or Lightspeed alone.
The difference in performance with ANC earbuds between headsets inc and high end headsets is negligible and certainly not worth the delta in price!" ----Jonathan Baron

Please consider spending at least $40 to protect your ears and make communications clearer.

Attachments

Last edited:

TFF

A lot of the aerobatic people, especially open cockpit, are doing exactly that.

Nothing worse than a regular ANR headset loosing power. They chunk the passive hearing out the window for weight. I understand why but noisy or open cockpit can sometimes overwhelm ANR to the point that it blocks incoming voice. Of course it’s extreme for most use.

Passive David Clark’s with ANR that would not cost $1000 is awesome.

Double ANR must be a joy.

Reactions: 103

A lot of the aerobatic people, especially open cockpit, are doing exactly that.

Nothing worse than a regular ANR headset loosing power. They chunk the passive hearing out the window for weight. I understand why but noisy or open cockpit can sometimes overwhelm ANR to the point that it blocks incoming voice. Of course it’s extreme for most use.

Passive David Clark’s with ANR that would not cost $1000 is awesome.

Double ANR must be a joy.
If you already own a set of David Clarks the price of admission is only $200 for the kit. RV builders by me think they are great! Add $40 and the joys of compound or double ANC/ANR can be yours for $240 and about 40 minutes with your solder iron. If you don't own a good iron or care to solder Headsets INC will do the job for $50. Buying all new without a spare set of David Clarks is under $400 easy! PS be sure to request the $10 upgrade to the Auto Off Battery box unless you know you will switch it off at the end of every flight! I think the Auto Off box is standard with the DRE6001 option. Jonathan uses these rechargeable with his. I might spring for a panel mounted power buck when my 8 pack of 9V is depleted at 12-15 hours each 2023 I project. Ok enough shilling for Headsets Inc they are Knowledgeable people with a better mouse trap made and serviced in the USA!

Last edited:
Reactions: TFF

Jonathan has just extended his compound ANR set up by adding rechargeable 9V to the low cost battery box option that comes from Headsets Inc.
He wrote me and said share as possible! If you are on FB follow here.

If not this thumbnail should provide enough detail on the mod
1596937636299.png

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you using the Audio Technica earbuds just for the ANR or are you feeding the radio signal into them?

I have a a set of the AT earbuds somewhere, I used them for awhile in my Fisher but they weren't enough by themselves, passive Plugfones worked better. I'll have to try them under my passive DCs.

Are you using the Audio Technica earbuds just for the ANR or are you feeding the radio signal into them?

I have a a set of the AT earbuds somewhere, I used them for awhile in my Fisher but they weren't enough by themselves, passive Plugfones worked better. I'll have to try them under my passive DCs.
I used them with good success under my David Clark's I could hear the radio fine. Now enjoying the compound ANR in my Heasets DRE6001. These buds under DC passives achiwve about 90% of what dedicated ANR heqdset does. I have never piped anything into the buds so I plan to clip the wire bundle off. At $30 people should try this while saving money to convert your DC you may elect to stop there.

Matt

robertl

Ok, I'm not sure what this thread is all about but I'm interested. Are y'all talking about using ear buds inside your David Clark, or other, headsets for noise reduction? If so, how are they plugged in ? I have a D/C set, H10-13s, I don't know if they are noise reduction or not, don't see anything on them that states that they are. Also, I have a set of D/C H10-76 helicopter head phones I converted to GA with an adapter, so, what am I missing here, I'm low tech !?
Bob

Yes go watch the video links in the original post. I do not connect the ear buds to anything. I install them under the David Clarks. They have microphones that listen to what comes in the passive ear cups and cancel the repeating drone/white noise about 80%.

I attached the battery box to the headband and secured the wires to they do not tangle. I realize I am never going to use them for music so I will trim off the audio input jack and wire. Currently they are bundled up and zip tied to the side. I like the $30 Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 buds I think they perform the best for th emony and one AAA battery last 35-40 hours simple!