Prerotator

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Has anyone ever used a small chainsaw motor as a prerotator ? Light, powerful, small when stripped down, and comes with an appropriate clutch. When mounted to the mast top it could be fairly compact.

Derswede

A friend used a small chainsaw motor to pre-rotate on his Gyro. I will see if I can find any info on it......he passed some years ago.

Derswede

Kiwi303

These days I'd probably look at using a E-Scooter motor attached to a cars air con electric clutch, run an ABS ring around the main shaft and a raspberry pi to the hall sensor so if it detects the rotation dropping below X RPM it automatically jumps in to speed it up again. just that extra insurance against slow speed rotor stall in addition to prerotation.

jazzenjohn

Most people I know that went with a engine for a prerotator used a high performance scooter motor. You can get them at Daves Discount Motors. For some good video/pics, look up the superfly gyro here:
or the dragonfly gyro here: The Dragonfly Gyrocopter

jazzenjohn

I'm using a brushless outrunner motor for my prerotator. It's smaller and weighs less, but I don't get quite as fast a prerotation as the best gopeds. 185 vs 220 RRPM or so. I could go with a bigger motor but there are several other considerations that go along with the higher RRPM's.