• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

power to weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarylP

Hi everyone :)

I get confused about the power-to-weight ratio thing.

The kits are all designed with a range of engine choices, especially the CH750 which I am interested in. Many of you that have seen my other posts know that I am concerned about weight, but with an eye to a specific engine. But not focusing on the brand of the engine but rather the weight, just how much difference does a few pounds change the way the plane performs?

I know it depends on the other weights of the plane, such as empty weight, and then the weight of the other things that are chosen to go into the build. A good example of that is a ballistic parachute, which adds approximately twenty-five pounds. Or tundra tires, which add drag and weight. But one (or both) of these things can be a "required" item for many a pilot, something that they feel passionate about.

So when putting together a plane a builder should see what is a "must have" for the build, and then reduce weight in other areas? That's not to say that there is a lot that than can be reduced at that point. Of course you have passenger weight to consider also, or in place of that the gear you carry with. I have seen planes (a quicksilver comes to mind) where the builder put a huge engine on it, and he ended up with a very high sink rate. The choice of prop comes into play too, but does that factor into "power to weight" ?

I know there is a ratio or formula that you could use in determining all this. If you have two planes/pilots, where one has a low power-to-weight, and the other has a high power-to-weight, what is the difference? Just performance? Installing all the goodies, and then add a powerful engine, means that you would have a very low power-to-weight.

Yeesh...Tim Allen based his entire show around "More Power"!
Oh..oh...oh...oh! :gig:

Back