Possible to construct a Driggs Dart monoplane out of aluminum tubing?

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by AlistairL, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 5, 2017 #21

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

Splicing would offer much help and am happy to hear it is doable.This offers more help money-wise due to the cost of shipping and such.Working with steel is new to me so figuring out how to form a shape (ex. the forward fuselage)on the material would need further assistance.The motor mount would probably need altering in order to compensate for a VW engine.As Dew777 mentioned the specifications of the Driggs Dart is just close to part 103.

2. Oct 5, 2017 #22

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I just googled "aircraft welding tube splice" ...needless to say there are countless "how to's", videos and web pages that will get you started. But I still think your best bet is to talk to some of your local EAA chapters and find a local "welding Yoda" to get you going.

P.S. there are ~30 EAA chapters in Ohio!

AlistairL likes this.
  3. Oct 5, 2017 #23

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

Will do just that.Should be an interesting experience and project with the right help.Design wise the Driggs Dart appears quite straight forward.The splicing I will research more into as it will help will constructing the fuselage.

4. Oct 6, 2017 #24

dew777

dew777

dew777

I certainly encourage you in your planned project ~ keep us posted as it develops :). I'd like to know if a Dart can be successfully done as a Part 103.

Like Boku already mentioned, consider the "need" for splices/joints:

AlistairL likes this.
  5. Oct 6, 2017 #25

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

Will certainly do and I too am curious on if it is capable of being Part 103.One thing though is the plans seem to neglect showing diagrams of the rudder and horizontal stabilizer.Is there someplace to find more complete plans?

6. Oct 6, 2017 #26

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Keep an eye on the online book sources for an original copy of the FGM. When the EAA reprinted them they clipped off between 20-50% of the articles.

AlistairL likes this.
  7. Oct 6, 2017 #27

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

I figured as much.I'll keep looking for the original articles.I assume it is due to infringement matters.I'm hoping there's enough information and details in the link on my original post to at least work the basic fuselage airframe.

8. Oct 7, 2017 #28

dew777

dew777

dew777

Don't use this very seriously at all ~ but it might be interesting for the general idea of what the tail (rudder and horizontal stabilizer). Again, please note that this image is for a MODEL. . .

Driggs_Dart_Model.jpg

AlistairL likes this.
  9. Oct 7, 2017 #29

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Oh, and maybe before anything rip some scrap lumber down into 1x1 or whatever and build a full-scale cockpit for the Dart. I saw one in a museum once and to call it tiny would be an understatement.

AlistairL likes this.
  10. Oct 8, 2017 #30

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

Thank you for image of model as it does give a good impression on the framework of those parts.As you say though not to take it seriously but it would make a nice free-flight model.As for the cockpit I will try to see in replicating one.Overall I think it will probably be a close fit as I am little over 5 feet.I am surprised to hear that there is one on display as I couldn't find any images of examples today.I will eventually contact a local EAA chapter on the matter of construction.I am just wondering how much tubing to order for the fuselage.

11. Oct 10, 2017 #31

dew777

dew777

dew777

AlistairL, I REALLY hope you succeed with the the U/L-103 build of the Driggs Dart. If I were considering doing that I'd work off of the available photos and probably do a modified build of the J3-kitten tail. Those plans are available here: http://timdonk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/J-3-Kitten.pdf

AlistairL likes this.
  12. Oct 10, 2017 #32

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

Thank you for your encouragement.I am eager to get started on the Dart and see to it on getting the fuselage started.It would be of worth to form a modified rudder and stabilizer from those plans and thank you for that idea.I guess it wouldn't hurt to modify the wing to be able to be in parts for easier storage.It a fairly obscure machine overall.

13. Oct 13, 2017 #33

dew777

dew777

dew777

AlistairL, would you be willing to do alot of photo-documentation as you do your Driggs Dart build and post them here? What I'm thinking is that with enough information maybe it would be possible for someone to maybe take your pictures and experiences and draw some up-to-date design diagrams for the Dart. . .

AlistairL likes this.
  14. Oct 13, 2017 #34

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

Most certainly will.It was my intention to do so in order to gain a better perspective.I say the fuselage will start sometime early next year once I get things ready.What I would like to do is to buy tubing in 8 feet lengths in order to cut cost of shipping.I will then set them in proper lengths and splice them together.

15. Oct 14, 2017 #35

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I'm building a triangular fuselage similar to what your doing and I also ordered all my tubing in 8' lengths. There are some pictures of splicing the longerons together and setting them in the jig on my build log.

P.S. you absolutely don't need a jig like the one in the photos :whistle: ...a simple building table and some wooden blocks work great.

AlistairL likes this.
  16. Oct 18, 2017 #36

dew777

dew777

dew777

AlistairL likes this.
  17. Dec 20, 2017 #37

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

After some contemplation I've decided that perhaps that it would be worth a try on constructing the Driggs with aluminum tubing. The goal as mentioned above is to see if that the craft will be able to meet within Part 103 requirements. The aluminum would hopefully shed enough weight to be lighter and easier to construct. I understand that the original had plywood covered wings so I am not sure whether to go with such or switch to fabric for ease. Other than that the landing gear will be made from plans out of the steel tubing since it might be best to stick with that. To FritzW I am glad that a less complicated to make a jig for fuselage wont be necessary and instead wood block on table method will be done. I'm hoping by spring will be the start with fuselage. Anymore advice from here is welcomed.

18. Dec 20, 2017 #38

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    AlistairL,

If you are in the Cleveland area contact Chuck S of CGS Hawk fame. He would be interested in your project and has built hundreds of similar aircraft.

AlistairL likes this.
  19. Dec 20, 2017 #39

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

Will do and thanks! I'm in the southern half of the state but hope to make some sort of contact. Very good overall that this would be of his interest.

20. Dec 20, 2017 #40

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I was looking at the Driggs just the other day... I think what you're doing is great and would like to follow your progress as well... good luck with it!!

AlistairL likes this.