Planning the adventure of a lifetime and hello from Germany!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

davidb

Uhaul truck is only $19.95 a day but there is $.70 per mile that would add up fast. Motorhome rental might be cheaper overall.
Might be best to buy a used vehicle for the several months adventure. Old motor homes are cheap, sometimes free.
A Uhaul Phoenix to San Francisco is $300 miles included. Gas would be about $300. Rates vary depending on where they need the trucks.

ddsrph

I wouldn’t worry about transponder and Adsb. My RV3 has neither and not worth it to me as I might guilt flying after 52 years in the not to distant future. As far as registration issues I would look at how Canadian lite aircraft are dealt with when flying in US.

Attachments

Map

I have flown my old, 60 hp motorglider coast to coast and many places in between, 70 kts cruise, 200 nm range. It was a lot of fun, but I have seen ground speeds in the 30-40 kt range, so it can require a lot of patience and good planning for fuel stops. Density altitude in the western part is the main challenge. With the long wings, I was often able to use lift to climb, otherwise it may mean not flying when it is really hot, or windy & turbulent (strong downdrafts in the mountains).

Pilot-34

Alamo Enterprize and national are all now related and have crew cab pick up trucks available for one way rental with unlimited mileage but you specifically half to purchase the unlimited mileage unit.
Often locally you can rent them for half of what the one-way unlimited mileage is but if you’re going to cover many miles The one-way option is worth it

Pilot-34

Worldwide Wayne are you doing this by yourself or will you have somebody accompanying you who could drive and support you?

Pilot-34

Being from out of the country I’m not sure if I worry too much about landing whatever I wanted to .
I mean after all after this trip will it make any difference to you if your license is revoked in the United States?
Well I would watch out for certain restricted airspace around the White House Air Force Base is area 51 etc. where the flight into an out of could result in a long time in the crowbar hotel

delta

I recently watched a video of a guy that built an enclosed cockpit (with heat), added wheel pants and extra fuel capacity to his ultralight (a MX perhaps). The modifications gave him a top speed over 90mph. Though no longer an ultralight, the chances of getting ramp checked at non towered airport are pretty slim because it still looks like an ultralight. Were one to disguise an extra fuel tank or two as amphibious floats or ballistic parachute, inflight refueling could become possible. This would be illegal and dangerous so don't try this at home, or especially when you're away from home.
Good luck... I hope you have a safe and enjoyable journey. PS, I'm in south west Utah if you need an extra hand.