• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Orginal vs Practical: Old Engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperpilot1363

Good Morning Everyone,

So, in regards to the American Eaglet project I'm working on, I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to stick with the original 45 hp Szekely engine or switch it out for a more modern c-65. The szekely engines had a bad reputation for cracking cylinder heads. The one I have need a significant amount of work but would look and sound right on the airplane. I'm not sure I would trust flying it over much anything (especially in the north east) and I don't want to restore a hanger queen. On the flip side it kills me to ruin the airplane with an engine that looks completely out of place and is historically wrong for the airframe.
That being said a c-65 would increase performance, safety and reliability by a huge factor. What are your thoughts/arguments? I always wanted to restore it to original specs but I don't want ot restore my coffin.

Cheers

Back