HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Starman

Something like this

Name: Night Fury

2 seats side by side seating
airline style first class seating
52" cockpit width at shoulders
72" cockpit width at elbows (inside strakes)
welded aluminum tube frame and main spar center section
plug in composite wings
removable boom tubes w optional long range fuel tanks
optional pontoons
black color carbon skin
four wheel landing gear
3000 lb w medium fuel

power: LS2 aluminum V8 400hp - direct drive pusher
running at 3200 - 3700 rpm@ cruise
4000+ rpm @ top speed
Corvette torque tube
Honda car seats

Expected top speed with short wing tips over 300 mph

3D drawing showing 40 foot span long range wing tips.

The best design ended up being Jays design in my tandem wing thread =)

Attachments

oneturboneeded

I really dig it all except the power plant i think a 3 or a 4 rotor turbo rotary engine with its long narrow package would be ideal.

Starman

I was thinking wankel, there are no four rotors, a three could have been good, but I want good fuel efficiency, and being the hedonist that I am, and sound quality being one of the types of beauty that I want to surround myself with, rules out any wankels or two strokes.

I grew up in the good old days when everyone had V8s, and I LIKE the way they sound.

Also the V8 gets totally lost when put behind the passenger compartment, which is why, if you look closely, you will see how the fuselage narrows down faster than a sailplane's does.

However, the shape of the skin is not exactly determined at this point but the front is very close, the rear may need to be fattened up a bit for cooling, or that could go in the wings.

I just got he idea of putting the radiator inlet in the nose, wouldn't that be the most efficient inlet style?

and it can fly without the fuselage skin, which it may well do in the beginning.

First I'm going to get the engine and drive system on the frame and wheels and go racing it up and down the runway at Arlington like a V8 go cart with a prop.

If anyone has a Corvette or Ferrari and wants to race we're on.

First I'll run the engine on the frame and when it gets wheels, drop it from a great height and see if I can break anything. Demolition is my favorite pass time ... kidding ... sometimes ...

I have a picture of the engine, which I just got for it yesterday. It's in the LS1 thread in the auto engines section here.

Night Fury

Wings from Angels

Lungs by Corvette

Heart of a Dragon

It should be a screamer :)

Last edited:

oneturboneeded

Im also a v-8 guy. Im a ford guy though man the new 5.0 is awesome even has piston oil squirters.
you can get 4 rotors built i"ve seen one run in person it was quite dope.

Starman

There is one.. for aviation too: WANKEL AG
That one looks suspiciously like a drawing, are they coming out soon? I imagine I could build at least three entire Night Furies for the price of one of those, probably ten.

I'm going to go as cheap as possible just to try to prove something about what people say about you can't go fast for low cost. Later I'll put a PSRU on it, then later a CS prop, and then later a turbo, and we'll give the four rotor wankel a run for the money, and all the racers at Reno =)

That would require smaller wings. Since both the wings and the wing tips will be interchangeable, it can have short wings plugged in. (edit: and then it will look a lot like the plane I entered this forum with, won't it :) Described in the thread Starman's Plane)

First I want to make a long range version. Instrumentation will be a bag full of hand held GPS units =)

In the sketch the center section is 8.5 ft, wings are 8 ft each, and the long range wing tips are 8 ft each, for 40ft span

Starman

You gonna name it toothless when your done?
I think I'll save that name for the military versions, but I've been thinking of painting the red mouth on mine and making a two piece windshield so it will look like two big eyes.

Main spar center section, until further notice, will be aluminum square tube, 8" X 8" X 1/4" wall X 8.5 ft long so it will take any kind of wings and any loads I can dream of throwing at it.

Starman

Here is the two window version, this is the main one as there is a longitudinal roll bar going up the center. Which one do you like the best?

The two window version is glowing red hot around the engine already!

Attachments

GarandOwner

That is a very cool looking design Starman!! From a control stand point the only two questions I have is: how does all that anhedrial affect your desired stability, and I would have concerns about the torque around your tail booms since you only have a control surface on one side. This one would definately be a head turner at the airport!

Starman

I'll use the anhedral if I can get away with it, and I hear that swept back wings and anhedral go well together. Anyway, the tail end is still in dreamland but I like that style best so far.

The spar center section I described earier, the 8" X 1/4" sq. tube, will have the boom tubes bolted to it with a big hairy bracket that gets welded on the end of the spar, which will also beef up the end to take wing loads better without distortion. I was thinking of making the boom tubes out of 4" X 1/4" round tubes.

Do any of you seat of the pants designers out there think 4 X 1/4 tubes will be enough to take max loads, like you know, in a high speed near sonic dive?

I don't think so either, I'll make stronger boom tubes later, but I think 4 X 1/4 will be good for awhile and have good stability.

aaaand I don't mind if stuff flexes, it doesn't need to be so stiff, due to my 'philosphy' I like flexible. If the boom tubes twist a little bit under high load I won't mind. All surfaces will be counter balanced to avoid flutter, even the fixed surfaces, so there will be no chance of flutter.

I don't mind flexible, the long range wing tips will be thin very springy samurai sword shaped and long, basically trailing behind and providing a little lift now and then, and acting mainly as a long divider to further separate the air from the top and bottom surfaces. Winglets with panache. Plus they can provide some extra benefit while wave skimming.

Here is a side view. With the Corvette torque tube it puts the prop way back there, which is good in some ways and not so good in others, but it slightly outdates the 3D views I posted.

I think a front radiator is the way to go, that way it can provide easy cabin heat, act as a foot warmer before the skins are on, and is the most streamlined inlet, I can try to make it wide and low so it looks more like toothless. i had a front opening drawn in the two window 3D version and then blacked it out, but you can still see it a bit.

So, what do you think about 4 X 1/4" 6061 boom tubes?

Attachments

Starman

The person in the side view is 6' 3" and has 2" headroom.

Here's some of my computer drawings. I think I'm going to give up on computer drawing because it takes me forever. I'll save it for when I get to parts details.

The front view is the 3 window version, the side view is an alternate canopy style that I like, and the top view shows a 30 foot wing span, with short wings and long wing tips.

I'll make the fuselage bottom skin first and then worry about the windshield shape later.

Sorry, that front view is the wrong one and I don't know how to remove it.

Attachments

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
...Do any of you seat of the pants designers out there think 4 X 1/4 tubes will be enough to take max loads, like you know, in a high speed near sonic dive?
To ask a pointed question, what are those loads? How many pounds bending, shear, in each axis, and ft/lbs torsion?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
4" boom tubes are awfully small; consider that ultralights using boom tubes are 5 or 6" (with, admittedly, much less wall thickness). That outboard stabilizer/elevator with no center section joining them will put a lot of torsion on the tubes.

Absent hard numbers, though, no predictions can be made. This is one place where "seat of the pants" design is not sufficient.

Also that wing planform looks like a recipe for some very nasty stall tendencies.

In aircraft design, form follows function. Style does not drive function, which is what you seem to be attempting to do.

-Dana

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors-- and miss.

Jman

Site Developer
You gonna name it toothless when your done?
My wife said the same thing when she read the thread. My daughter is somewhat obsessed with the Night Fury character from that movie. It was her inspiration for wanting to fly hang gliders.

Would balanced control surfaces help reduce flutter when the fixed surfaces themselves are allowed to be flexible? I wouldn't think so, but I'll defer to the more experienced of the bunch.

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
Straight sided boom tubes would look so wrong on this very slick design. Go the extra mile and follow your drawings with the tapered booms.
I'm not so sure about the anhedral mains though but then, I haven't researched them.
Love that 2 seat head on shot, very nice.