• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Newbie Questions (hopefully simple to answer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cplcramer

Goal: Design a small one person aircraft

Questions
1) Which wing design provides the most lift per area?
2) How much can the fuselage be used to create lift?
3) What is the optimal 'length' of a wing (not wingspan - leading to trailing edge?)
3a) Does wing depth have any effect on lift - how deep is too deep?

I'm looking for a design such that a 2D graph can be developed that shows the lift vs. speed curve (if that makes any sense - I"m not an aerospace engineer.) Meaning, if I provide 3 dimensions, height, width and depth, the designer has the freedom to create any design within those constraints, swept wing, inverted wing, canards, scissor wing, delta wing, etc. Using various designs each one should produce a certain amount of lift at varying speeds.

Given the most efficient wing and body design it should be straightforward to determine the minimum takeoff speed which helps constrain the weight of the aircraft vs. its power requirements.

Last question, why do most unmanned aircraft look the same as manned aircraft? Does the main pencil-like fuselage really need to be there or should it be used to help create lift and reduce the required wingspan?

Thanks for indulging my hopefully not too ignorant questions.

Back