New Guy From New Hampshire

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BobRob, Sep 6, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 6, 2019 #1

BobRob

BobRob

BobRob

Greetings and thanks for having me.

I am/was an instrument rated private pilot who stopped flying about 15 years ago due to a medical issue that will let me fly, but won't allow me to fly under the privledges of my private pilots certificate and instrument rating so Sport Pilot/LSA it is. After looking around the local area, there is nothing in that class I can rent so if I wat to fly, I have to buy. Other than the odd Ercoupe and Taylorcraft, there isn't much available to purchase either so I'm looking at the Zenith CH650 as a nice build project.

My background is 30 years fixing crappy old airplanes for the USAF, several years working PT for a small FBO doing line service and now I am in Quality Assurance, working in manufacturing...some aerospace, NASA and light machine shops.

The CH650 has caught my eye as it seems pretty capable for my "mission", looks cool and the building (from what I gather) looks pretty straight forward. Looking forward to reading other bulders thoughts on this and other Zenith projects.

Bob.

2. Sep 6, 2019 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

Don't know your budget, but you might also consider an RV-12.

Welcome to HBA.

BJC

BobRob likes this.
  3. Sep 6, 2019 #3

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Welcome Bob,

I'm just outside the Manchvegas area. I am building a Lil' Bitts rag and tube biplane. Where are you in NH?

4. Sep 7, 2019 #4

BobRob

BobRob

BobRob

I'm up in Gilmanton.

5. Sep 7, 2019 #5

BobRob

BobRob

BobRob

I looked at the RV but after looking at engine options, the 130 HP viking option for the 650 is pretty tough to beat. That will leave more $$ for electronic goodies

6. Sep 7, 2019 #6

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Hey, I've been up that way! My mom grew up in Franklin and my grandparents lived there until 2004. I spent a lot of time up that way when I was younger (especially when my dad was in the Navy and out on the ship).

7. Sep 7, 2019 #7

WBNH

WBNH

WBNH

Portsmouth here. Probably not the cheapest or nearest options, but both Hampton and Pease have LSA's. J3/L4 at Hampton. CHI Aerospace at Pease has 3 RV12's, Ercoupe, and CTLS. Hampton rents for solos...I have to assume CHI Aerospace does as well...I haven't visited them yet myself.

A couple hours in their RV 12 might be good transition training when it comes time to climb into your CH 650...even if it's a hike to get there from Gilmanton.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  8. Sep 7, 2019 #8

BobRob

BobRob

BobRob

Nice! It's a great pleace to live this time of year. Should get lots of build time the next 6-9 months though!

9. Sep 7, 2019 #9

BobRob

BobRob

BobRob

I'll give them a shout. A local AME told me there were LSA's at Pease but I couldn't find them. Thanks for the lead!

10. Sep 8, 2019 #10

CharlieN

CharlieN

CharlieN

You might consider getting a few flights in the RV and compare that to the 650. If control system harmony matters to you, you might question the choice of plane to build. If just getting in the air is your main goal, go for what you want.

BJC likes this.
  11. Sep 8, 2019 #11

BobRob

BobRob

BobRob

I'm going to head to Pease tomorrow and see if I can get a look at one of the RV-12's. I did some more research and many of the FWF options for the CH650 are available for the RV as well. I'm particularly interested in the Aeromomentum and to a lesser extent the Viking options.

WBNH likes this.
  12. Sep 9, 2019 #12

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

X2 on putting in the time and effort to fly anything that you are considering building.

13. Sep 10, 2019 #13

BobRob

BobRob

BobRob

I went to CHI Aviation at Pease and flew the RV-12 today. Great airplane! Definitely leaning in that direction now.

WBNH and BJC like this.
  14. Sep 10, 2019 #14

CharlieN

CharlieN

CharlieN

Good direction to go, The Aeromomentum is a far safer option than the Viking options.
    The Viking has about the worst intake manifold, plumbing and fuel injection on the market if that matters to you. Some will buy his product even with his many decades of about the worst customer support and long history of failed products.

BobRob likes this.
  15. Sep 11, 2019 #15

BobRob

BobRob

BobRob

Yep, ALL of that matters to me, as much as the 35K nut Vans wants for the Rotax and FWF kit on the website. If I can get into an Aeromomentum power plant under 20K, that's a lot of $100 hamburgers.

16. Sep 11, 2019 #16

CharlieN

CharlieN

CharlieN

I hear you there.
    Part of me would be happier flying behind a Suzuki or Mitsubishi motor, or properly done Honda which I may go with rather than the Rotax. Nothing against the Rotax but you have one big priority right, there needs to be some money left over to fly the plane.

BobRob likes this.