• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

new ELSA design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Aldridge

I jsut started the design of a new ELSA. I wanted to buy a small biplane but that looks like it's not going to happen so I decided to try my hand at designing a fairly simple steel tube fuselage low wing monplane with a 55-65 hp engine on it.

At the moment it's just what i think looks good with no tweaking. I want to use a steel tube fuselage because I figure it will be easier to calculate the forces on it than it would be for other materials.

The wing is slightly tapered with a 23-015 airfoil from root to tip.

Does anyone know of a program that will calculate forces in a truss type structure?

I have X-plane and am working on creating the plane in planemaker to see what kind of results I can expect. I'm hoping to get the plane in the 300-350 pound empty weight range.

Below is a screen grab from Rhino3d

Attachments

• SIMPLE.jpg
    SIMPLE.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 776
Back