New Canard Design - Oshkosh 2016

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by TMann, May 6, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 5, 2016 #61

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

Re: New single seat Canard

Build a model and see if it's stable. You appear to have very little rudder for directional stability. The canard seems too small tolift the weight of pilot and engines which are all fwd of the main wing. Your engines look too small to be actual engines

2. Dec 5, 2016 #62

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Welcome to HBA Russ!

What kind of engine were you guys considering for the piston? It seems (or is that incorrect) that no typical boxer would easily fit in there?

Moderator note:
    I've merged this and an earlier topic. Note that the first few posts of this topic now contain quite a few nice renders and some more info about this canard design.
    //End of mod note.

3. Dec 22, 2016 #63

canardlover

canardlover

canardlover

Autoreply, the fuselage ( pictured in this thread), as machined and molded, was done knowing that due to variances in the chosen engine ( cylinder count 4 or 6, boxer,rotary, inline, turbine) there will be the need for a number of engine specific cowl molds. The geometries of these will likely be somewhat individualized to each engine for optimization ( cooling effectiveness,drag , and aesthetics).

The rear of this fuselage was molded with the intention of likely installing a turbine. The production fuselage mold will have an insert to create a standardized joggled flange for the various cowlings to seat against. Understandably it will lack the molded rear area you see in the fuselage molded in the Oshkosh Demo. In this case we will add bonded on , or submerged , inlets for combustion and cooling air and cut the required access panels needed to install and service the turbine and , in this case only , create secondarily produced recessed flanges for attachment.

Fortunately , or unfortunately for the cowling plug builder (me), there are a large number of piston options ( VW derivs, UL Power, D-Motor, HKS, Jabiru? for boxers, and maybe inlines and rotarys).

That , however, is not the case for the jet. Obviously the PBS TJ-100 is the engine of choice in the small turbine world presently.

When I designed this aircraft, 20 plus years ago, there were no readily available viable turbines in the marketplace. Thankfully times are a changin ;-)

So you can see with a standardized molded seating flange for the cowling , I can accommodate the various engine options(turbine or piston) in the standard fuselage shells with a number of cowling molds that conform to the perimeter attachment flange.

If you look at Tom Manns earliest post on this thread you can see the cowl treatment in the early CAD renderings for the boxer formatted engines.

Russ and I want to thank all of you for your interest in the project and will keep you abreast of developments as best we can and time allows.

Best Regards and happy holidays,

Jeff Kerlo