new battery from lithium ion inventor

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

addaon

Supporting Member
Yeah, there are a few (very small) production solid-state lithium cells out there, and they’re a joy to work with. Big ones would be awesome.

Dan Thomas

Five and a half years. Wonder where it's at now?

The article has this:

“The glass electrolytes allow for the substitution of low-cost sodium for lithium. Sodium is extracted from seawater that is widely available,” Braga said.

Sure. Take the salt out of seawater and break it down into sodium and chlorine. And what do we do with the vast amounts of chlorine when there may be no increased market for it? Doesn't sound earth-friendly, as they put it.

dog

The article has this:

“The glass electrolytes allow for the substitution of low-cost sodium for lithium. Sodium is extracted from seawater that is widely available,” Braga said.

Sure. Take the salt out of seawater and break it down into sodium and chlorine. And what do we do with the vast amounts of chlorine when there may be no increased market for it? Doesn't sound earth-friendly, as they put it.
the real takeaway from the article bieng five years old is that it has not been retracted during the plagues and wars and mass techno weirdness
oh and the ocean can handle a dozen cubic miles
of clorine and it will not change the base level now,the ocean is that big,and we are adding many
cubic miles of melted ice per year
AND,AND,we are running out of fresh water and going to need to build de salenation plants,so the
concentrated brine is free
but ya I dont like the green blab either,and I am a dedicated environmentalist,but not at the expence of making anyone do anything,
my hope is that electric technology will yield,faster,lighter,airplanes that go farther than those today and that we all get to have something
nice from the new teck

Dan Thomas

the real takeaway from the article bieng five years old is that it has not been retracted during the plagues and wars and mass techno weirdness
of clorine and it will not change the base level now,the ocean is that big,and we are adding many
AND,AND,we are running out of fresh water and going to need to build de salenation plants,so the
but ya I dont like the green blab either,and I am a dedicated environmentalist,but not at the expence of making anyone do anything,
my hope is that electric technology will yield,faster,lighter,airplanes that go farther than those today and that we all get to have something
nice from the new teck
Chlorine is a deadly poison. You don't just dump it in the ocean. It would have to be dispersed over a very wide area, and even then it would evaporate and cause other problems. It would likely have to be reacted with something else to form a stable, non-toxic compound.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
nice from the new teck
his invention is alright I guess what we really need is some way to tell where one sentence ends and another begins in our written communications

keithkrum

Chlorine is a deadly poison. You don't just dump it in the ocean. It would have to be dispersed over a very wide area, and even then it would evaporate and cause other problems. It would likely have to be reacted with something else to form a stable, non-toxic compound.
Those darn pesky facts! Electric automotion is not a new idea. It has been around since the beginning of automobiles. And every time it is promoted, the realities of physics and chemistry have eventually put a stop to it. Tesla may have found a way around those limits with his "etherical electricity", but nobody has been successful at making his theories a fact.

Jazz30-06

The article has this:

Free pools for everyone?

Jazz30-06

Those darn pesky facts! Electric automotion is not a new idea. It has been around since the beginning of automobiles. And every time it is promoted, the realities of physics and chemistry have eventually put a stop to it. Tesla may have found a way around those limits with his "etherical electricity", but nobody has been successful at making his theories a fact.
I think you meant to say "Elon's marketing", but yeah. We aren't ready for a full switch to electric yet for a variety of reasons, but the marketing arm of Telsa is astonishingly good and the general public is astonishingly poorly educated.

Jazz30-06

One of which is ; and it's a Big one :

The Grid , could Not handle it ; it's Old and can hardly
keep up with what's asked of it now , (Roiling-Blackouts)
anyone ?? LOL

Bille
Oh, you mean like California trying to get people to schedule their charging times so that the grid can maybe stand a chance of keeping up after they just banned ICE vehicles after 2030/2035?

dog

physics and chemistry are what spells the doom ,doom I say,doooooooooom,for most fossil fuels used in human transport.
we are very near the limits of efficiency for liquid
fuels and we need more power now.
Pesky fact.(with rudementry punctuation)
chemical energy stored in batteries has orders of magnitude of greater energy density potential,gasoline does not.
the thing is that there is much more power availible for the taking and keeping and useing
in solar and battery technology
nother pesky fact.
there are also cappacitors that store large amounts of power,non chemicaly,and as far as I
know there is nothing in physics to prevent achiving energy densities greater than anything
else bieng developed

keithkrum

I think you meant to say "Elon's marketing", but yeah. We aren't ready for a full switch to electric yet for a variety of reasons, but the marketing arm of Telsa is astonishingly good and the general public is astonishingly poorly educated.
I was speaking of Nikola Tesla. Much of his research is still not understood by today's engineers.