Need to find a custom trailer for a cassutt.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have used this trailer for many years and hauled several airplanes. Built from a couple old boat trailer frames. 8' wide x 15' long. Largest airplane hauled on this trailer was a C-182. Lots of miles on it. Over a lot of the US. I rebuilt it last year with a new plywood floor and tires, etc. Pulls great and rides very smooth. Side racks lifts off in sections if needed.
At one time I had a 28' long airplane hauling trailer, custom built, Hyd tilt bed, electic wench, etc. It was just a little to heavy duty for hauling airplanes, ended up selling it. Like was said, to easy to damage things. Had to buy some new airframe parts and learned a lesson.

Attachments

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...If you do rent a box truck, 4 cheap ratchet straps & some padding can secure each wing to the sides of the truck. One pair with both ends hooked to the side well above the wing as cradles; the other pair hooked above/below to strap the wing to the side to keep it from swinging. The RV-4 I sold was rigged that way in a shipping container; rode from MS to New Orleans and then to Argentina without damage. As others have said, strap the wheels; not the fuselage.
Some of the cheap ratchet straps can be rough, especially on paint. I recommend a trip to your local home improvement store to pick up some foam pipe insulators to wrap around the straps.

rv7charlie

Uh..."& some padding"?
;-)
If I were doing it, I'd want the cradle straps to have something to spread the 'line load' out some in addition to the padding. And I'd try to get the one near the root end, at a rib.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I thought you meant padding on the wall. My bad. Sorry.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yard sales are a good place to pick up old lawn chair cushions for padding for almost nothing.