Need to find a custom trailer for a cassutt.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

tailwind

Looking for a nice lightweight trailer for a cassutt. Probably need a custom built one that is really light. Not a car capable one.
Tom

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Sorry to butt in (considering I do not have a trailer for sale), but Tom please understand you can use many different trailers.

The key is to NOT tie the airplane down hard to the trailer. ALL trailers flex (especially the light ones) and you do not want ANY of that flex to be transmitted into the airplane.

If you tie the airplane down hard to the trailer, the airplane structure becomes part of the trailer structure. No airplane is built for those kinds of cyclic loads.

The Cassutt I flew had previously sustained significant damage because of improper trailering. There was a big nasty weld repair in the forward fuselage because the engine was heaving up and down on the mount, but the fuselage had been clamped down to the floor of a stiff trailer.

For whatever my opinion is worth, I would strongly recommend you have the fuselage sitting in semi-firm cradles with the tires not touching the floor, and a solid padded support under the front of the crankcase. By semi-firm I mean felt strips, not springy foam.

The best solution for what you want to do is to modify an "open frame" glider trailer from something like a Schweizer 1-26. These are usually lighter weight single axle trailers. The tail of the Cassutt is narrow enough to fit inside most of their widths. You can enclose a glider trailer faster and more easily than you can build a new custom box trailer.

As you probably know already, most box trailers large enough for an airplane are way WAY too heavy and stiff, and will bounce the s**t out of your airplane.

The wing goes leading edge down along the side of the trailer, with felt supporting the entire leading edge, and the weight of the wing is NOT supported by the center section spar. Also, be absolutely sure to have a solid brace between the rear wing attach fittings, so the wing "sweep" angle cannot move at all.

Mcmark

Tom,
I built one to haul my bipe back from Reno years ago.
Hauled my new bipe last year.
Started as a 4x8 utility trailer.
If you're interested in more details, let me know.
Mark

tailwind

I know a car trailer has the ability to hurt my light weight airplane. Thats why I was asking to find a custom trailer builder. I can design and build one, but would rather use my wallet and not my time. What I need is a 18 foot sailplane trailer that is 60x60.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I decided if I EVER have a trailer built or modified for an airplane I would put in some sort of suspension that is suitable for an airplane instead of a Sherman tank.

Perhaps use the rubber block trailing arm axle parts instead of the typical leaf springs. Even better yet, there should be a long throw or long-travel suspension, and some sort of coil-over shock to mitigate the resonance and bouncing.

If you are going to have something built, please consider my strongest possible suggestion to put the majority of effort into the suspension, even if you start with an existing box or "toy hauler".

Last edited:

TFF

Usually something really good is attached to a plane. Are you looking for a one time use or one that is permanent. I imagine you will have to have one built.

proppastie

Log Member

You might also load it into the back of a pickup truck with the tail extending over the cab to the front bumper. If the gear is stressed to 4 Gs and it is resting on the gear with the wings off in the bed of the truck......you should be fine.

wktaylor

Used race-car trailer. Without the aircraft inside it becomes a mini-maintenance hangar or sleeping quarters

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
the trailer or the truck
All of the above.

I am making an assumption that anyone wanting to put a Cassutt into a trailer is doing so because he or she is going racing with it. If it's not going racing then it is small enough to fit under almost any airplane in any hangar...

So if it is going to be a racing airplane, then we are not talking about a mile or two between the garage and the airport like many other airplanes.

So in my opinion, throwing it in the bed of a truck, or using a half-assed tiny 4x8 POS is going to be a very high risk.

Look closely at the European glider trailers. The Cassutt is of course the opposite end of the flying spectrum, but the Europeans have just plain figured out how to make airplanes easily road transportable, and not get damaged in the process.

The fuselage is supported by a shaped padded cradle, the wings are leading edge down, and nothing is lashed down hard to anything.

Why do you figure that is... lack of attention to detail by German engineers ???

proppastie

Log Member
I am making an assumption that anyone wanting to put a Cassutt into a trailer is doing so because he or she is going racing with it.
with that assumption you are absolutely correct....my reading of it was OP did not want to do much work.....and figured it was for a short move.....also the post about the build your own trailer was why I put in the barely adequate trailer up...as a starting point if you were to build your own.....I personally hate to tow a trailer...I did think later "does the Cassutt have a solid wing"?.....in which case a 20-25 ft min. length trailer is needed unless one wanted to build a box on the passenger side of the pickup from the front to the rear bumper ....you would loose the use of the passenger door. You certainly have lots of experience towing around long trailers I would guess....just as an aside how often does towing trailer problems ruin gliders? Just trying to get gas must be fun.

TFF

Going racing needs a full support trailer. Tools, parts; just a mobile shop. Sailplane trailer almost seems like more storage for a project instead of ready to fly. Definitely not the back of a truck for a flying airplane. Maybe parts. Wing out in the open is just waiting to make the people who lose mattresses on the road look smart.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I did think later "does the Cassutt have a solid wing"?.....in which case a 20-25 ft min. length trailer is needed

You certainly have lots of experience towing around long trailers I would guess....just as an aside how often does towing trailer problems ruin gliders? Just trying to get gas must be fun.
The Cassutt 3M (stock) has a 15 or 17 foot span one-piece wing, however it relies o n the rear seat cross-tube to hold the rear spar attach fittings together. So without that steel fuselage tube attached, you can destroy a Cassutt wing by moving the wingtips fore and aft. There have been wingspans up to 23 feet for aftermarket composite wings on racing airplanes (mine was 20.5 feet).

I have as much experience towing long trailers as every other old washed up sailplane owner in the desert Southwest. That's a significant, but not "professional" amount. The high quality European trailers (Komet, Cobra, and probably others by now) do a very good job of protecting the glider. They are engineering and industrial design marvels. The 25 foot long, 1000 pound trailers flex but don't crack, and their flexing does not cause any damage to the delicate hand-finished laminar flow gliders they carry.

Getting gas is easy most of the time. Trying to turn the car/trailer around in the parking lot of Schat's Dutch Bakery in Bishop, CA, in an L-shaped parking lot that was frozen over, without un-hitching the trailer, is another story entirely.

LittleBird

What part of KS are you in? I could build what you need. I am in Harrisonville, MO. I have hauled many airplanes, but do it with a normal car trailer. I have several trailers with my favorite being a cheap 16' angle iron side trailer with a homemade jig built on it. I actually don't install the jig until at the aircraft location. The wings actually lay outside the jig frame leading edge down with a lot of pads. Excellent results. The one piece wing of the cassut is different and a different solution may be needed.