Name that plane...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

LArzfromarz

A few years back I had the pleasure of seeing the replica that shown in my attachments at the Imperial War Museum in London. What a day that was. I'd like to see the "Night at the Museum" movie for that place!
It was humbling in many ways, especially the Brit ( not Spears) infantry gunner I met there.
Larz

Last edited:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Newbie on this board and have to learn the ropes- Sorry Guys

anyway to attach photos without a URL?
Larz
No worries, Larz, I knew you were kidding. :)

When you're in "Advanced" mode in either posting or editing a post, scroll the whole window down until you see the "Manage Attachments" button. That's what you're looking for. You won't see it in the "Quick Reply" window, so click "Go Advanced" below the post window to get there.

LArzfromarz

All better now - you have to actually use the upload button not just look at it.....
Thanks Topaz
plus the FW - I'll have to go back so I can get a Hi res shot- I just loved that angle

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Ah, yes. That's the replica of the Colditz Glider at the Imperial War Museum, isn't it? Love that story. Wish they'd had a chance to try it out! The looks on the guards' faces would've been priceless!

LArzfromarz

There is a NOVA program where they flew a replica, I think.
Can you imagine, the IWM (Imperial War Museum) was my consolation prize (oh darn) that day. Was supposed to go to Duxford for a behind the scenes tour but it was too mucky. I have a buddy who flies Spits for them on occasion- maybe I'll get back there while he still does.
Larz

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Been to both places, but at Duxford it was 'just' the regular tour - nothing behind the scenes. Fabulous place. You can spend the whole day there and still not see everything. If you get your behind-the-scenes tour, take lots of pictures and share here! :)

The Imperial War Museum is simply amazing. Puts the Smithsonian to shame in terms of material actually on display, within their specialty. There's stuff there I haven't seen anywhere else. I was last there in 2002, so the Colditz Cock replica wasn't on display yet. Pity - I would've enjoyed seeing that!

I also got out to see the Shuttleworth Trust collection north of London on that last trip. Another amazing place. And they fly most of their old airplanes, even the 1911 Bleriot!

Group Builder