Murphy Rebels

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Captain_John

Hey all, just wondering...

What do we know about the Murphy planes? I can't help but wonder what is next in store for me once the RV is out of the nest. I would like a floatplane, as I have my seaplane rating. I am thinking Amphib Rebel with an O-320.

Anything particularly good or bad about these units?

:confused: CJ

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
They repeatedly get rave reviews. Beware of the exchange rate, though I understand it's not too bad right now.

orion

R.I.P.
I've had some contact with the company, its owners and several of the employees, on at least a couple of occassions. My impression is that these are some of the best designed and engineered airplanes in the homebuilt market, with a very reputable, technically saavy and conscientious group of people behind them. When I visited their factory, I asked some very pointed technical questions as to the design practices and assumptions, as well as procedures for the design of some of the more critical items. Their answers were very knowlegable, straight forward and in my judgement, correct. Recommend their products without reserve.

Captain_John

Well, that is good to hear.

I emailed them last week and got NO RESPONSE!

7 days later, I sent another email entitled, "Are you still in business?" and it was answered immeditately!

Looks like I will start paying close attention to their products and keep them on the back burner. The RV needs to be completed first.

Thanks guys!

:D CJ

CAB

RV seaplane

CJ-
Why don't you just put floats onthe RV?:gig: I swear I saw that somewhere.

CAB
Bearhawk# 862

pylon500

HBA Supporter
http://www.rivetbangers.com
Hey CJ, I went and had a look through your rivet forum, lots of interesting 'learning' experiences! :p:
If you run into any more of those 'how the hell do I get a solid rivet in there? problems, have a thought about using a pure aluminium rivet instead of a 'pop' rivet. :confused:
If it's not in a structural area, (like the last rivet in an elevator!:gig: ) these are as strong as a 'pop' but look like all the rest!
I don't know if you can buy solid rivets in small packets (samples?), but if not, go to a metal shop (aircraft) and try to bludge some 'A' rivets of the size you want, ie; MS20426A 3-4.
Most of the 'sheetey's I know usually have a stock of longish rivets (-8's or so) and just cut them to size.
These are also good for rivetting stuff to fibrglass as they will flatten with less pressure than is required to crush the glass on cowls, canopy surrounds, tips, etc...
Arthur.

Captain_John

Cool, so the solid aluminum jobbies look like an AN-426-3 or 4-X and smoosh alot easier?

It isn't like the solid ones we use all over the RV's are that hard to smoosh but I will pick a few of the AL ones up to experiment with!

Regarding structural or not... there are so **** many on an RV, they usually tell you that installing some non-structural ones usually isn't a problem.

I just can't believe how many RV's are out there!

The factory has counted almost 4,400 completed!

:shock: CJ

CriCriOz

Instead of Pure alluminium rivets, why not substitute SP type rivets, similar to the usual AD rivets, but require heat treating, once treated you can keep them on ice for an indefinate time, or use them... they are Increadibly soft after treatment, and 1/8 diam rivets can almost be put down with your fingers as a bucking bar! its very easy to turn them into pancakes if your not careful. in approx 24 hrs after treating,(or defrosting) they will harden up.

Im not sure of availability though, but they are very common in British millitary aircraft. Harrier, Hawk etc.

CriCriOz

yep, just put them in an oven, let them soak at the treating temperature for 1 hr, then water quench. after that, you use them, or freeze them to keep them for a few months in their soft state, i cant remeber the temperature off the top of my head, but it think a houshold oven should be capable of it. if they are left too long and harden up, you can re-heat threat them. i will try to get details of suppliers from work tomorrow