• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mile High newbie checking in...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cattflight

Hi folks and a Happy New Year to all! I wanted to take this opportuity to introduce myself.

I am a 40+ yo PP-ASEL transplanted from New York to Denver about 9 years ago. I learned to fly about 4 years ago and got the bug to build an E-AB from my CFI-turned friend, and Lancair 320 builder. He is a huge fan of composites (for obvious reasons) but pointed me in the direction of Vans and a few other well-established kit companies to get a feel for what it was all about. Since then I have been gathering a TON of info on the variety of kit-built and plans-built Experimentals out there and have ruled out many would-be candidates along the way (for one good reason or another) and narrowed the field considerably. My mission needs are, in no particular order:

- high altitude flying (base airport is nearly 6k' MSL and I fly frequently over the Rockies)
- 2-place side x sdie with reasonable baggage capaity (75-100lbs)
- NLT 700lb useful load
- reasonable cost of ownership and per hour cost (6-8gph cruise, small t-hangar fit or shared hangar)
- minimum investment in tool ownership to construct
- must have at least 44" wide cabin and accommodate me at 6'2" @ 220lbs
- at least 150 KTAS
- mogas capable (optional but desired)
- no significant, periodic incremental investments to build, with the possible exception of the engine and avionics

So, having looked at the RVs, the Glastar and Sportman, the Arion Lightning and a few others, I discovered the Vision 2-place and the 4-place version, the Freedom. The Vision is a plans-built aircraft designed by Steve Rahm and there are numerous plans sold with only a few flying at the moment. (though I understand many more are getting close to completion). The Freedom is a derivative of the Vision and, as of right now, is not for sale as Pro-Composites (the team marketing these and the Personal Cruiser) will not sell plans until the aircraft has flown and the build-to plans are verified. For me, however, the Vision seems perfect.

Though the Vision is a plans-built, the process and documentation is designed for the first time builder and allows for certain common customizations like a 4"-6" wider cabin than the 40" on the prototype, multiple engine types, taller turtle deck, and a few different wing options. The original design was sport aerobatic but I would be opting for the "EX" with the extended wing for better high-altitude performance and slightly more docile low-speed handling. The plans-built approach also has the benefit of a very real "pay as you go" funding process and less dependency on a company from which you must purchase your parts or major kit sections over time. Regardless of how healthy a kit manufacturer may seem, the potential to get 4+ years into the build only to discover they went under and you can't buy the firewall forward kit anymore, sort of scares me - and certainly limits the list of optional vendors. (opinions vary greatly here, I know)

So, here's my plan....with the new year upon us, I am going to order the plans, begin reviewing them while I knock out some home improvements I've been promising my wife before the end of February. Then the 3-car tandem garage will get a makeover to include heat, cabinetry, some shelving and benches, and a new set of tools and a tool chest. I know this aircraft is going to be years in the making, with periods where I will want to give up - or I will be reminded I need to take some time off from the project to spend with my wife (no kids currently, nor planned). But, fortunately, she shares the dream of all we'll do when the aircraft is finished, and she plans to assist where she can....so I feel VERY fortunate and ahead of the curve on likelihood of success!

To further increase my likelihood of success, I plan to take a few of the SportAir workshops (composite building, gas welding. etc.) and I already belong to the local EAA chapter so I'll have some great resources to assist or bounce ideas off. Though it's too early to start picking avionics and interior, I am looking at either the Jab 3300 or Lyco IO-320 for a power plant. Living at altitude, I am hoping FADEC sees some more extensive deployment in the E-AB arena between now and "buy time", and I will keep an eye out to alternatives in the meanwhile (diesel, compact turbine/turboprop, etc.).

As an engineer by trade (granted in broadcast, not electrical, aeronautics or more aviation-applicable areas) I am not at all afraid of this endeavor. In fact, I cannot wait to get started! Thanks for welcoming me to the group and in advance for the valuable info I am certain many of you will lend along the way!

Blue skies!
-Paul

Back