• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Maximum Fuel Strategies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I hope you forgive me for asking a question that is probably buried in the treasure trove of knowledge that is this forum, but my search terms must not be in line with what is required. I have a project forming in my head and I am at a crossroads, so I hope that you will provide some guidance. That said, I’m looking at building an aircraft similar in construction methods and layout as an Extra 300, however, the mission will be for high speed cross country travel, not unlimited aerobatics. The question concerns wing construction. I have not selected an airfoil yet, but the planform will be essentially a “Hershey bar” wing, modified with sheared tips on the outer panels. I plan on a span of about 30’, with an aspect ratio of 8. I don’t expect this wing to deliver the 25G strength of the Extra, but there will be a little “yanking and banking” with the airplane. I think a useful limit load of 6 g’s will suffice, so that, coupled with the need for a highly accurate airfoil means that wood is a possibility, but composite is more the likely choice.

…With me so far? Now, the real question: How do I get 70+ gallons of fuel in the wings? I’m thinking that a wet wing is the only practical choice, but doesn’t that drive me to building a complex set of molds and pulling wing skins from them? This is going to be a “one off” airplane, so I’d like an easier way if possible. Can I get a bunch of fuel in a “Rutan style” form of construction? How about a molded D section leading edge, with the remainder of the wing hotwired? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

Back