• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Airplane For Sale Maranda BM-4

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

For those looking for a barn find, this is as close as you’re going to get on short notice.
08541C75-5559-473F-84E1-2C9CAA135273.jpeg
Up for sale is a Maranda BM-4 that has flown but has been disassembled for a while. Stored indoors its whole life to the best of my knowledge. The last time it flew or ran is unknown as there are no logs but I’m sure I’ve seen it at fly-ins in the 1990s. For those unfamiliar with the BM-4 it’s a cantilever low wing monoplane with a welded steel tube fuselage truss and wood/fabric for everything else. At a glance it could be mistaken for a Minicab but it’s quite satisfyingly big. The cockpit seats two side-by-side, I’ve sat in it and I bet your shoulders wouldn’t touch with your passenger.

I know the pictures here aren’t much to look at but parts are spread across several hangars. Beyond the fuselage/centre section you see on gear, there are also all tail feathers, wings, ailerons, gull wing doors (with new windows installed), and a new cowling nose bowl that looks to probably be from a Champ. What’s missing are the rest of the cowls and sheet metal around the forward fuselage, windscreen, instruments, and seat cushions, probably some other detail bits here and there as one would expect of a barn find. Absolutely restorable but there’s no way you’re flying it home.
0CBB4956-843B-4972-B2A3-AE2586FE81FF.jpeg
Construction drawings will also come with it.

Engine is a 16 valve Subaru with a cog belt PSRU of unknown origin. Auto conversions aren’t my area of expertise but I will answer any questions about this one as well as I can. Maybe someone will recognize the PSRU and she’d some light on what it is.
DFAD57FA-56D5-4D15-B70D-8224CD1F1F5F.jpeg
The aircraft is located in Guelph, Ontario (about a 45 minute drive southwest of Toronto) and initial contact is by private message to me. Price is $3000 CAD, which is a hair over $2200 USD at today’s exchange rate. Open to offers, there’s no way to insult me on this one.

LittleBird

This looks like something I would drag home. I have never heard of the design and Google isn't showing any photos of one complete. Was it built up from an existing aircraft? Looks like a converted high wing design. Do you have photos of it together or photos of another one together assuming this isn't a one-off? Registration letters on tail show a Rotorway helicopter in Winnipeg.

Tiger Tim

To the best of my knowledge it’s not a one-off but there certainly is a lot more information on a high wing homebuilt airplane also called a Maranda that makes this design hard to find any information on.

I’ll try all the usual suspects for a picture of this one in better days but in the meantime I can tell you it looks a lot like a Gardan Minicab. It looks close enough that we think the two designs may be related, perhaps someone like Chris Falconar re-drew the Minicab with a steel tube fuselage and three piece wing but that’s just speculation.

Bill-Higdon

To the best of my knowledge it’s not a one-off but there certainly is a lot more information on a high wing homebuilt airplane also called a Maranda that makes this design hard to find any information on.

I’ll try all the usual suspects for a picture of this one in better days but in the meantime I can tell you it looks a lot like a Gardan Minicab. It looks close enough that we think the two designs may be related, perhaps someone like Chris Falconar re-drew the Minicab with a steel tube fuselage and three piece wing but that’s just speculation.
You Canadians like the Miranda name, Graham Lee at the time of his death was working a cabin sesquiplane he called the Miranda

Dan Thomas

It looks close enough that we think the two designs may be related, perhaps someone like Chris Falconar re-drew the Minicab with a steel tube fuselage and three piece wing but that’s just speculation.
I don't remember anything of Falconar's that looked like this or had that designation. I have his AMF-A14 plans here, the airplane that was called the Maranda, but as you say, it was a wooden strut-brace high-wing airplane that looked nothing like this thing.

Most of his stuff was Jodel-related. Minicabs, too, I think, and a couple of small single-seaters. He also had a P-51 replica, IIRC, and a prototype Falconar Teal was built in my hometown but it didn't fly well and had water handling problems. It sat for a long time at the airport and then disappeared. Never saw it again. Wiki says a handful were built from the plans. Falconar Teal - Wikipedia

Tiger Tim

I don't remember anything of Falconar's that looked like this or had that designation.
Like I said, wild speculation. Falconar did re-draw the Minicab as the Minihawk and I’ve seen reference to the Maranda BM-4 being called a Hawk so there may or may not be dots to connect there.

Here’s a Falconar Minihawk:
1668270253533.jpeg

Oh, and this is the best picture of a BM-4 I’ve found so far. Not a great pic but at least we know there was more than one. Apparently it was in Delta, BC:
1668270322986.jpeg

There was a two place (sbs) Canuck homebuilt amphibian called the Blue Teal. Ken Gamble owned her in the late 70’s and sold her to someone unknown to me. She‘s listed in Jane’s, late 60’s, I think. I wonder if she’s in one of those Guelph hangars, too?

Tiger Tim

No amphibs in Guelph save for a Murphy Rebel that spends its summers on amphibious floats and the remains of a wild one-off that began as a flying boat in the fifties. Ken’s old Aeronca is in the collection though and sees a lot of good use.

Tiger Tim

I finally had a chance to sit down with the drawings and confirmed it’s a Maranda BM4, drawn by B.C. Maranda of Montreal, year unknown.

The drawings are incomplete but what’s here just looks like re-drawn Minicab, including all-wood construction as drawn. This means the aircraft itself went off script in the build when a steel fuselage was made. There’s a bunch of correspondence between the builder and an engineer so that’s something at least.

Tiger Tim

The paperwork on the Maranda also has a whole bunch of engineering info and hand drawn graphs of various loads and expected performance. In addition to that there is a bunch of engine info though none seems to be for this engine. Looks like a 90hp Franklin or a Corvair were both considered before a Subaru was chosen.

There’s a tiny bit of Eggenfellner Subaru info on there but this doesn’t appear to be one of his engines, at least not like any I was able to find info on. There are receipts for the gates belt and cogs so I assume the PSRU was home made and possibly plans-built as the builder didn’t appear to have left anything to his own guesswork from the looks of the other correspondence. Ratio looks to be either 2:1 or just a little bit greater, maybe 2.1:1.

Ken’s old Aeronca is in the collection though and sees a lot of good use.
I wonder if that is the same Champ that I restored for him, back in the late 80’s. The mags needed rebuilding, but he didn’t want to spend the money on new parts, so she just sat at his strip while the others were sold. I’m wicked pleased to learn she’s being flown now.

Tiger Tim

I wonder if that is the same Champ that I restored for him, back in the late 80’s. The mags needed rebuilding, but he didn’t want to spend the money on new parts, so she just sat at his strip while the others were sold. I’m wicked pleased to learn she’s being flown now.
Could well be. The story I heard was it took a wrench through the windscreen from some dummy at a party and sat tarped over for twenty years until the plane was sold from the estate and re-restored over a winter. I’ve considered it the squadron hack ever since.

Could well be. The story I heard was it took a wrench through the windscreen from some dummy at a party and sat tarped over for twenty years until the plane was sold from the estate and re-restored over a winter. I’ve considered it the squadron hack ever since.
Must have been a hell of a do! I imagine Ken was furious...to put it mildly.

I would be happy to go rescue her, but I'm south of the border and the FAA isn't keen on issuing pink slips to homebuilts from outside the US. It used to be just a formality, but it seems they now use any convenient excuse to avoid adding something complex to their workloads. They'd refer me to a DAR, anyway, who would scrutinize the documentation more than the airframe/engine. Maybe being an IA would give me a slight advantage with the DAR, but just importing the old gal may prove problematic at the border...and I'll have to renew my passport. I frequented Guelph in the late 80's when I was at Ken Gamble's, so I know how to get there.