• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Low aspect ratio planform comparison?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Does anyone know of a source for data comparing various planforms (wing shape in plan view) of low aspect ratio wing at Reynolds numbers useful for light aircraft design? Something like circle-rectangle-diamond-delta-reverse delta-zimmerman-reverse zimmerman, for example.

16-2.jpg

The question came up because I was taking another look at the Piana Canova designs and I realize that I don't think I've ever seen any data for that diamond shape. See Low aspect ratio with an Italian accent for more info on those.

canova low AR musings (1).jpg

On a related note, what do folks think the difference in behavior might be for a true diamond shape (a square flying diagonally) like the Piana Canova designs vs. moving the wingtips forward to the 25% chord point to allow a straight main spar tip to tip or aft to the 75% chord point for a more delta shape? The later two would result in a straight-line approximations of the Zimmerman and reverse Zimmerman shapes. It's worth noting that all three shapes have equal span and chord and all have a 2.0 aspect ratio.

A 4.25 m/ 14' 9" span would give a wing area of 10.125 sq m/109 sq ft or about right for a Part 103 ultralight or a faster and heavier single-seat microlight. A 5.5 m/18' span and chord would give a wing area of 15.125 sq m/163 sq ft or plenty for a two-seat microlight or a faster and heavier two-seat LSA. Carrier-style wing folding on a 2.0 m/6' 6" center section could allow either one to fit in a 20' shipping container.

Cheers,

Matthew

Last edited:
Back