• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Longeron Bending Jig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imamac96

I've been trying to think about how to bend longerons for a scratch-built Zenith 601HD (trying very slowly to guide long-term chapter growth).
My friend with an RV-12 project did not opt for the longeron bending dies (https://bullerent.com/product/longeron-bending-die-set/).
We later regretted that choice.
He pointed out that dies in this fashion would probably be a good way to bend the longerons for a 601HD.

I have drawn a parameterized version here (and I'm happy to take feedback/requests):
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f...renderMode=0&uiState=65d0294588c4e34acf26c742

I haven't tested this yet.
I'd like to start by trying a 3D-printed version on a hydraulic press since I had good luck with 3D-printed dimple dies for wing ribs.
Although extrusion angle is a different beast than 0.025", I think it's still worth it to give it a shot.
A MetalSupermarkets location is a 5 min drive from me, but I'm still trying to get my new printer working since I'm halfway across the country from my shop, so "I'll get to it when I get to it".
You could just as easily have this routed on a block of scrap steel though, and I'm planning long-term to replace my dad's Enco mill with something like a Tormach if I can finally move back.

Thanks All,
Connor

Back