• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Long Time Wanna be Builder/Designer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucrum

Got interested in flying while in the second grade. I've been a corporate pilot since the early 80's. Since before then I've been interested in designing and or building a homebuilt. I studied several books years ago. Theory of Wing Sections, Modern Aircraft Design, Design of the Airplane, Aircraft Performance Stability and Control, GA Airfoils and others. I'm afraid I've forgotten much more than I remember. A divorce in the early 90's put any real progress on indefinite hold.

Originally my studies and preliminary work focused on a ducted fan powered jet look alike. Although the fate of the Jethawk II since then has admittedly curbed my enthusiasm for that configuration just a bit. I had some ideas on some relatively simple variable inlet and exit geometry systems that may make the overall idea more viable. I plan to do some scale model "wind tunnel" tests in the near future to either confirm or kill the idea once and for all.

Plan B would be either a BD-5B, a similar configuration of my own design or possibly a 1/2 - 5/8 scale replica of either a P-38 or P-40.

Anyway for now I'll mostly absorb the interesting and enlightening posts,
there are some very knowledgeable contributors here.

Back