• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Let's Design a Practice Rudder!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicaldude1234

Hi Guys!

Just a little background: I've been looking around for ways to become more familiar with sheet metal construction techniques as I'm continuing to develop a design in said medium. Whilst brainstorming about structural configurations, it just hit me that I just don't have enough hands on experience to design something that wouldn't be a headache later in construction. To that end, I've been looking at a side project to develop and fine tune, if you will, some basic instincts about designing with sheet metal.

I've been looking at the most popular kit makers; such as RV, Sonex, and Zenith; and have found their introductory tail kits to be a bit outside my price range, especially for something I'm just practicing on. Zenith comes close with their rudder kit at $375, but I must admit that my "I-could-do-that-for-cheaper" sense tingled pretty soon after looking at the details. I'm probably wrong, but it really looks like there's at most $150 worth of material in the kit.

So, I was wondering if I could take a whack at designing a rudder, with input from some of you who've had more experience in building, of course. We can specify the design, I can then draw it up in my favorite CAD program, mock it up in poster board, riveting it up in sheet metal,and after which I can release it back to the community on the condition that it never be used on anything that flies. Usage will be limited to wall ornament at best, and firearm practice target at worst.

I'm just listing off the top of my head but the guidelines I have in mind are:

• Inexpensive: no more than $150 in materials, not including tools
  • Be of practical size: As large as would be typically used in a typical homebuilt airplane; 2'x4'?
  • Consist of most sheet metal construction techniques: Bending, hammering, solid riveting, etc; this is a for education project, after all.
  • Consist of aircraft grade materials: same reason as above.
  • Attractive looking: Replica of rudder on existing aircraft, perhaps; to be relatively pleasing to the eye whilst adorning wall or in the sights of a rifle scope.
So what do you guys think?

Back