• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lets build an electric ultralight (in one month)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoamandTape

First post here, but have been lurking since creating this other project in silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNSN6qet1kE
that one took about 2 1/2 months without so much of a plan, however it has been invaluable as far as learning things and proving that if I wanted to build an airplane than i'm gonna build an airplane!

Well it turns out that plane didn't fully meet my criteria. 50lbs over weight (230-240) with batteries and a little too draggy. Plus I am aware after lurking in on that thread that someone here started that there is one major design flaw with the steel straps that were used for the wires in the wings. The plane never really gets loaded that much to stress those parts to anywhere near failure... but still.

So now I'm gonna build a new airplane (hopefully in time for oshkosh, The EAA has invited me to drag the first one there but I want another to fly while I'm there so something more efficient and with more proven design elements will have to be built. I've been working on this one for a bit now (this time fully planned out before any metal is cut) The design is influenced off the affordaplane but on a diet since researching that contraption seems to always point towards it being overweight. The wings and tail feathers will be done like the last plane, made out of eps and lowes foam for ease of construction and speed.

I guess the main purpose of this thread is to get some design feedback and ask questions!

1) I've never pop riveted anything and am looking for advice, I want to use a few pop rivets on each of the brackets holding the aluminum tubes going diagonally along the fuselage, the bracket is to be made out of 1/8 6061 and the square tubing is 1/8'th as well. Any feed back on what rivets to use and a gun would be helpfull!

2) I like the aileron torque tube setup, but only partially sold on doing the elevator cables like so, how would you guys go about any revisions.

3) I plan to get all the aluminum ribs either laser cut or water jetted to save time (this goes for all the fuselage gussets as well and pretty much anything made out of 1/8th 6061, anyone have any good sources that have decent return times on this task?

4) BRS, I do plan to have a better spot for this on this design, I think I want to go with a soft pack one for this plane, anyone know what size I should get?

that's about it for now! Will either update this thread with more pictures and questions.

Attachments

• bush103 v30.jpg
    bush103 v30.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 9.38.28 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 9.38.28 AM.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 11.27.05 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 11.27.05 AM.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 11.26.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 11.26.40 AM.jpg