Lets Build a Lightweight Type 4

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bill-Higdon

I recalled the Brit persons name now.Mr.Peacock to be precise.Found the drawings too.Its a miracle I could find them after 25 plus years from a dusty pile!I am sure I would have built a homebuilt version but we dont have T4s here,not a single one.
Mr. Peacock did a lot of work with VW engines in our common "home country" (AKA Britain), are your Peacock drawings for a flywheel drive type 4?

mullacharjak

Yes.The flywheel end drive. The thrust face in the case is cut oversize .A new bearing is made from some exotic bearing alloy (lead bronze).A prop driver made from aluminum and stuck to the "thing" cut from the flywheel.
Was thinking if the oversize thrust face cut on the inside of the case would be an initial part of a line bore operation?

Theodore959

Thank you for your efforts! I look forward to seeing the results.

My T4 remains under the bench. I don't know when I will get to it. To many other projects in the way and I owe my wife a better kitchen.
How's the new kitchen?
is your T4 engine code GE?

Marc W

The kitchen got delayed by a solar electric project, which opened a huge can of worms. I bought this house from a retired building inspector. I am shocked by what a building inspector will do in his own home! He added a bunch of wiring and didn't have it inspected. None of it is acceptable. So I am redoing everything he did. Then I need to install a new main panel and a new sub panel. Then the solar array. Then the kitchen which has morphed into a major remodel of the first floor. At this rate I may never touch an airplane again. But my wife likes me better now!

Oh yeah, there is an engine here somewhere. It is a "CB", your basic 1700cc. I would make it at least 2600.

Toobuilder

Log Member
There used to be a Tailwind in my area that had a T-4 under the cowl. It has a belt drive PSRU. Not sure what the displacement was, but I did see it fly - and it performed well.

Pops

Log Member
I never worked on a T-4 very much. Sold my 1978 VW camper bus with the T-4 engine about 4 years ago. It had 71K miles and no problems. Always kept in a heated hanger, like new, rained on a couple times. Sold on ebay and went to Colorado.

Theodore959

Ha, Happy wife Happy life, i always seek my wife's blessing on what ever i've got going on. We are updating home built in 1984(no asbestos). The kitchen was nice solid oak cabs, so only needed new appliances. I try to spend half the time on the house the other half in the shop...

The air-cooled VW buses T4, are converting to the Vanagon water-cooled 2.1, while the Wasserboxers(Vanagon) are upgraded to the Subaru 2.2. ?
the stock crankshaft is 84mm stroke i think, some clearancing but fits in AS41 case(type1)

Psru off flywheel end of Type 4 vw, could be very good combo, propeller rotation correct.

Pops

Log Member
Friend of mine has a 1969 VW bus with the Subaru engine. Likes it.

Marc W

There used to be a Tailwind in my area that had a T-4 under the cowl. It has a belt drive PSRU. Not sure what the displacement was, but I did see it fly - and it performed well.
It would be interesting to know more about that installation!

I try to spend half the time on the house the other half in the shop...
That is my intention but the shop is losing out right now.

Group Builder