Learning to fly

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Joe Kidd, Jun 7, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Am currently working on my Sport Pilot License in a Flightstar tri-gear operating under a waver. Nice little plane for learning in, just a bit slow. Everything appear's to be going well, I pretty much suck the first couple of time's I try something new, then settle in and get smoother. However, after I've gone home and run everthing through my head a few day's and thinl over how everything was supposed to work as well as what didn't I start to understand what was happening. Then the next week everything move's smoothly and I act with confidence. I'm still working on tracking everything in the cockpit as well as outside of it while flying. Wear's my butt out to. Does all of this sound about par for the first few hours?

2. Jun 7, 2009 #2

handprop

handprop

handprop

Congrats Joe......

Your doing just fine, that's normal, in fact it may get a little fustrating but one day it will all click and you'll say to yourself " dang, I get it" it's a good feeling for sure. The first few hours can seem a little daunting but all that's going on is your learning bit's and pieces that one day will all come together for you. Sometimes people start to improve and all of a sudden get confused and experience a lag for a lesson or two but that ends pretty quick, again, all normal stuff.

let us all know when you solo and make sure you tell us the whole story. You must be really excited. How often are you taking lessons?

Mike

3. Jun 7, 2009 #3

flyranch

flyranch

flyranch

Sound's 'bout right to me.

Wear an old shirt that you don't care about losing to the airport when you think you're starting to get close to your solo.

4. Jun 7, 2009 #4

handprop

handprop

handprop

Your supposed to tell him to wear his best shirt:gig:

Mike

5. Jun 8, 2009 #5

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Thanks’ guys, I already knew about the shirttail’s routine so I’ll make sure on that item. As far as how often I’m flying, so far it’s only been once a week or so depending on weather, scheduling, and available funds. Trying to do this while staying within a tight budget, am currently putting the wife through college, she waited until the kid’s were grown and on their own.

Had taken a couple of lesson’s in a Cessna 150 many year’s ago and thought I’d remember more, but found the 150 and a very light weight 65 HP E-LSA are very different platforms. Learning on the Flightstar feels good due to its simplicity and reactions to wind, makes one pay very close attention to control inputs, but wouldn’t want to own one.

Have no complaints about the Sport Pilot CFI instructing his rates or as he charges by the Hobbs meter and not for anything we discuss or do on the ground. Unfortunately, he’s the only SP CFI in the area who’s currently instructing resulting in an 89-mile drive to the small paved airfield we’re using. All of this makes one value the investment in training while trying to get the most out of each lesson. Not to mention the huge volume of DVD King’s School lessons, reference book’s and other study material. Almost like working on a research project or setting up large-scale disaster response procedures for a region.

6. Jun 11, 2009 #6

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

OK, went flying early Saturday evening when condition’s calmed a bit. Thing’s were going good until I glanced over at my instructor who was seated back, totally relaxed, simply watching what I was doing. At that point, it came to me that I was flying the plane; doing all of the turns, slow flight, climb’s and all. Startled the heck out of me, I was that focused on what I was doing. I’m really beginning to like my instructor as he quietly instilling confidence. Of course, at that point I blew it again and screwed up my landing approach, salvaged it in the end but was sloppy. Oh well, more briefing and teaching then we’ll see what develops.

7. Jun 11, 2009 #7

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

The more time you log, the fewer screwups-per-hour. Sadly, the screwups-per-hour rate never goes to zero, though. Glad you are having fun
    -Kent