• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Learning aerodynamics with RC airplanes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi all!

I am sure many of fly RC airplanes. I am trying to digest all the aerodynamic theory. There are plenty of equations and many times, to be able to run those equations, you need parameters from wind tunnel data or from existing similar aircrafts.

Apart form engineering books, I also have read an RC book which keeps the theory to the bare minimum. In a practical example, after getting into some calculations, that required airfoil parameters from wind tunnel data, it ends by saying; if the airplane is balanced on 33% of the mean chord the aircraft will fly smooth.

Is it that simple? For a sport airplane, flying in uncompressible flow, with a straight wing, without taking into account the # Reynolds number, if you hang your aiplane from the roof of your hangar and the airplane is balanced on 33% of the mean chord, it will fly well?

Thanks for your inputs,

Oriol

Back