Laminating Bush Alaska

Discussion in 'Wood Construction' started by Kenai.pilot, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Feb 23, 2019 #1

Kenai.pilot

Kenai.pilot

Kenai.pilot

Hi all, I have caught cabin fever on the Kenai, Alaska!

4 feet of snow out and enthusiasm burning hotter than the leaky old wood stove in my cabin.....

I want to laminate all the critical structural members of my stork like bush plane ............
    I want to do it this way for 2 reasons

1)simply do to cost trouble involved ingetting un-obtanium..simply meaning its tough .getting what I need....AND that is considering I live within shoutin distance of living sitka spruces...LOL

Primarily the way Im thinking is that my experience with laminates is VERY impressive!

Any builders tread this path before me?
    I have read about a presenter at Oshkosh on "big box wood 2017" that likes to do it this way...

the view out my window
    1544318451570.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  2. Feb 24, 2019 #2

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

look at the sticky at the top of the wood construction section......also AC 43-13-1b .....about the best I can do for you as every time I put a nail in wood it splits. I will add though I think any wood you use has to be "dry" might even be limits on the amount of moisture allowed... if there are it should be in those two publications.

https://www.google.com/search?rls=o...0i10i67j0i22i30j0i13i30j0i8i13i30.6iwbfZ4Xkqs

3. Feb 24, 2019 #3

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

If you have clear wood available, that would better. I have thousands of tulip poplar trees, can you guess which wood I'd use if/when I build a wooden plane?

4. Feb 24, 2019 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

Every West Virginian has an Alaskan heart. I have been looking for a few acres of land as far from civilization as possible in WV. There are places, but not many for sale. Wanting off grid and at least 3-4 miles of 4 wheel drive trails sometimes called roads. Grandson just bought a 28 acre place off grid but a little to close to a road. Might put a cabin on it. We will see.

5. Feb 24, 2019 #5

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

6. Feb 24, 2019 #6

Kenai.pilot

Kenai.pilot

Kenai.pilot

Thanks for posting, nice to meet you all.

This is the upper limit of sitka here.Lots of beetle kill here on the peninsula has diminished the few we have.

While bear guiding 20 minutes across the cook inlet I saw nice (5-6 foot DBH) trees. I am an old sawmiller/logger so that gets my blood boiling.

, Spent last summer on Kodiak, the bears were bigger, and so were the sitkas! In the village they cut and used beautiful clear sitka to build sheds, whatever....its all relative.

davidb likes this.
  7. Feb 24, 2019 #7

davidb

davidb

davidb

I’m sure the logistics involved with establishing contacts and figuring out how to harvest and mill are difficult. Still, I’d be tempted to give it a try. All that fresh beetle kill wood is being cut, split and debarked for firewood. Sure would be nice to get your hands on a freshly killed one which likely could yield some aircraft grade lumber.

8. Feb 24, 2019 #8

TFF

TFF

TFF

Milling your own wood would be very cool. Drying the wood would probably be the biggest challenge then selecting aircraft grade, but at least you would get first dibs.

9. Feb 25, 2019 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

Sure would be great to have local Sitka Spruce to use . In my area there is a lot of logging but its mostly hardwoods. Lots of Yellow Popular. Local high-end wood molding mill will let you come in a pick through the Yellow Popular for aircraft quality at good prices.

The Wright brothers got their spruce for their airplane at Spruce Knob, WV. I have a picture of the Wright Brothers airplane when they couldn't get stopped and run into the Lily pond at the city park in Parkersburg, WV in 1913.

10. Feb 25, 2019 #10

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

There is white spruce in our neck of the woods, Pops. Properties are **** near the same as sitka, but it doesn't come in such big, clear sizes...

11. Feb 25, 2019 #11

Kenai.pilot

Kenai.pilot

Kenai.pilot

Hey guys,
    I was blown away at the ready availibility of incredible quantity and quality of straight grained sitka jusy a short flight down to Kodiak!!!
    A friend is a wood worker there and had aircraft grade lumber dried in his kiln.....destined to be house molding....I died inside a little bit....that wood wants to fly!!!!

Pops, It is an incredible feeling here to stand on a a hill and look up and down the yukon and know that there is NOTHING for something like 50 miles( north east of Russian Mission) in any direction...no roads , power poles nothing.....and a complete kind of silence that makes your ears ring....Some have a inner need for that...soooo, bush planes are a need, not a want here

Geraldc, davidb and Pops like this.
  12. Feb 25, 2019 #12

Pops

Pops

Pops

I grew up in an area like that where there were complete silence and the only noise was the wind, birds, wildlife or the noise of a mountain stream. Not noise, but music. Grandfather and I would go the complete summer and not see almost anyone else. We were 7 miles from the nearest road and about 18 miles from a small town of a few hundred people.

Wayne likes this.
  13. Feb 27, 2019 #13

Kenai.pilot

Kenai.pilot

Kenai.pilot

Well , I droped some coin today and bought a gently used lycoming o-235 ....surprised myself!!! it has bout 1200 hrs. so it is only 1/2 worn out LOL working on my stork plans set.

A fellow member here has been kind enough to guide me through the errors in the plans.Ha ha ...hey its an adventure in learning right???

I m havin a lot of fun in the process so God willing if I finish my joy will be double!