Quantcast

Keyhole wasps

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rv7charlie

Sounds like Brisbane has a barely detectable issue. ;-)

They should come do the test in MS; every test port they place during the summer will get filled within a day or two; often within hours. We have at least a dozen different critters that will plug holes from about 3/32" up to about 5/8". I've had them plug *both* fuel vents on an RV4 that were made from -4 aluminum tube, with the open end still 'necked down' by the tubing cutter; probably about 3/32" opening. We don't dare leave air hoses in hangars unless the ends are plugged together. Every threaded implement mounting hole on my tractor is filled (and it's a big tractor).

Every orifice on my plane gets a screen or a cover.

Charlie

kubark42

Happened to me on takeoff when the mudwasp nest partially blocking my pitot tube fully clogged it on rotation.

Once back on the ground, we blew out the pitot tube. Problem solved.

Now when I park overnight in New England I put a tennis ball on the pitot just like everyone else. :)

BJC

HBA Supporter
Everyone should fly their airplane at least once without airspeed indication.

Dirt daubers are a problem all over the SE, but I happen to know that, in Washington state, pitot tube covers also render the ASI INOP.

BJC

pwood66889

Wonder if it was a "keyhole" that gave me such a thrill in KLYH, when I rotated with zero airspeed! I didn't ask it for id when I pushed it out of the pitot.
I took to unscrewing teh pitot every preflight on the 150 after that. I currently use a cover; and have a check for it being on the hatshelf in the list.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Maybe not a blanket, but at least piece of paper to cover up the six pack.