• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Just a teaser of something else I've been up to

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion

R.I.P.
Just thought this might be of interest. It's my take on a "low cost" airframe that I'm playing with. It's not light (meant to be powered by an O-320) since most of the wood structure is 1" ply, but it's sort of the ultimate composite airplane since it'll be a combination of wood, aluminum, steel and fiberglass.

The wood provides the basic shape for the wing, fuselage and tail feathers. The spar is wood but will incorporate a graphite spar cap. The wood parts are to be CNC machined by Eric at CNC Routerworks so essentially this will go together like a typical RC airplane (I hope).

The aluminum will be used for the 1" square longerons, cockpit side reinforcement and right now I'm also thinking of doing the skin of aluminum (wing and body). I've just come across some new aluminum bonding compounds (one is a new Methacrylate and the other is a PolyUrethane) so I'm just dying to try them before I commit.

Steel will be used for the landing gear and engine mount (of course) and the fiberglass for the cowl and for skinning the tail surfaces.

Controls for the prototype will most likely be electromechanical (joystick control), but I'll probably design a conventional stick control too.

Comments?

Attachments

• FunFly.pdf
    291.9 KB · Views: 997
Back