Jungster 1 & 2 aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
It would be great to see those Jungster club news letters!

Do post lots of pictures of your build!

Dottie’s does not have adjustable cabanes, I have seen some pics of some on the old yahoo site. I might have a screen shot somewhere of it, I’ll try and dig it up for you.

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Here is a recent pic of a bunch of bits nearing the covering stage.

Engine selection is 50/50 between the UL 350iSA and the Verner 7cylinder
Both have their pros and cons.
That Radial would look and sound the business! But might limit the aerobatics a bit.....

Attachments

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
BJC, if your reading, I think you might have some experience with the Verner 9 cylinder engine....if you are who I think you are :)
Could I ask you some questions ?

BJC

HBA Supporter
BJC, if your reading, I think you might have some experience with the Verner 9 cylinder engine....if you are who I think you are :)
Could I ask you some questions ?
My neighbor / friend installed one in the Samson Mite, so I have had a good look at one. ScaleBirdScott, who is a regular here, and his father, Paul, who posts occasionally, are the importers, and know much more than I do.

BJC

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Cheers! I’ll get in touch with them.
That Samson mite is epic! So is Mr Wolf!

M Clarke

The early model Small Block Chevy engine used different engine mounts as in 1957. They used rear engine mounts on each side of the bell-housing and front engine mounts on each side of the front of the engine below the water pump. Check on the front mounts for your replacements. Later models use a side mount on each side of the engine block and a cross-member under the transmission and a rubber mount between the cross member and the transmission.

Second picture is of the complete front engine mount as used in the car so you get an idea of the parts and how used. Top brackets bolt to front of engine and bottom brackets to the frame.

Thanks for the info!

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Quick update:
Finished the longeron repairs, stoked it went very well. I was going to use the original engine mounts and welded some washers to fix some slightly off holes, but in the end decided to make new ones.
I had these water cut by Wai innovations in Wanaka NZ. What a slick operation and a very reasonable price too!!
Next is the seat mod. I’ve built a dummy cockpit floor and seat back to try some ideas out. I’ll be pleased to have the seat finished as then I can prep the fuse for covering.

Attachments

Riggerrob

Please share a few photos of you sitting in the seat mockup. Then we can more accurately advise you on which type of parachute will fit best.

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Please share a few photos of you sitting in the seat mockup. Then we can more accurately advise you on which type of parachute will fit best.
Will do, I’ll mock up a fabric style seat first, then carve a foam form for a composite and see what’s best.
I’m fairly confidant that with a little padding in the right places a wedge style parachute will give the comfort we will want.
Softie recommends that the ram air canopy works better in a wedge container, I like the idea of ram air (as I’ve a lot of years flying paragliders and a handful of dodgy base rig jumps from paragliders 😜) however what do you think is better in the actual chaos of a bail out situation? Round or ram ? I know it’s very situational but all things being equal what would you prefer? Rigger Bob

Riggerrob

Will do, I’ll mock up a fabric style seat first, then carve a foam form for a composite and see what’s best.
I’m fairly confidant that with a little padding in the right places a wedge style parachute will give the comfort we will want.
Softie recommends that the ram air canopy works better in a wedge container, I like the idea of ram air (as I’ve a lot of years flying paragliders and a handful of dodgy base rig jumps from paragliders 😜) however what do you think is better in the actual chaos of a bail out situation? Round or ram ? I know it’s very situational but all things being equal what would you prefer? Rigger Bob
Yes!
I am currently writing an article entitled "Round or Square Parachutes?" for KITPLANES magazine. Hint: I have made 70 jumps on rounds, but more than 6,000 jumps on squares.
The first draft is a series of "jump stories" about how I concluded that squares are better. It starts with my first round reserve ride in 1979 and concludes with me test-jumping a P124A/Aviator containing a square (1996). One story is about landing a round reserve in the wrong country (1986).
It also includes a few tales about my experiences instructing students with the whole range of parachutes from military-surplus rounds, to Para-Commanders to squares packed into piggyback containers.

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Great! I look forward to reading the articles.
I’m sure you will get a laugh out of this pic. A mate of mine last weekend at our paragliding Acrofest, 1st reserve ,Rogallo, dumped a line around his leg! Second round helped him remove his leg from the line. I think the Rogallo was in a non staged diaper not a bag....I’m a bag fan.
I had front row seats to lots of fun flying camera ship 👍

Attachments

aviatorbell

I have some Jungster 1 parts I am thinking of selling. I found a couple more bad glue joints in my fuselage/ lower center section. The original builder used Aerolite glue. Not sure what happened, but all of his wing gussets on the original wings came loose with a 1 or 2 finger tug. Im suspect of all the joints in the fuselage and tail at this point. It was started back in the late 70’s or early 80’s. I think i will try to salvage as much of the lumber for another future project. Makes me sick to cut it up but just scares me to keep finding glue joints bad. I do have a complete set of flying, landing, tail and interplane strut streamlined wires and ends. Also main gear legs, and all the 10 zillion wing fittings. If anyone is interested let me know.

andyvg52

HBA Supporter
I have some Jungster 1 parts I am thinking of selling. I found a couple more bad glue joints in my fuselage/ lower center section. The original builder used Aerolite glue. Not sure what happened, but all of his wing gussets on the original wings came loose with a 1 or 2 finger tug. Im suspect of all the joints in the fuselage and tail at this point. It was started back in the late 70’s or early 80’s. I think i will try to salvage as much of the lumber for another future project. Makes me sick to cut it up but just scares me to keep finding glue joints bad. I do have a complete set of flying, landing, tail and interplane strut streamlined wires and ends. Also main gear legs, and all the 10 zillion wing fittings. If anyone is interested let me know.
I would be interested in the main gear legs,
Hold on to to them..

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
That’s a shame Aviatorbell!, but probably sensible if they are failing with a 1-2 finger pull!
I couldn’t make any gussets fail with simple pull, but some I replaced up the front that were water damaged and warped where a bit easier than I wanted them to be so I put quite large fillets of thickened West’s epoxy on all the gussets, it’s added a bit of weight but also good piece of mind. I did some tests with scrap and found a joint with no glue at all on the normal glue surfaces and only with fillets of epoxy on the outside where as strong as a normal joint. The wood would tear apart even more than usual as it had more area to break free from.

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Riggerbob here are some pics. I quickly stitched up a fabric seat and took some pics of the gap to fill with padding and a parachute. I would like the least extra thickness up at the shoulders.
I’m leaning towards a Kevlar/glass seat that will bolt to the seat back and the ply floor either side of the torque tube. Then use foam to sculpt the leg support to suit rudder pedal deflection.... a sailplane style container might suit that arrangement too???

Attachments

Riggerrob

Dear Dominic Eller,
Thanks for posting those photos.
Looks like a wedge parachute container will best fit your seat. Butler and Para-Phernalia both sell wedge-type, back parachutes. Look for a wedge 2 or 3 inches thick at the bottom, tapering to almost zero thickness at the shoulders.

Yes, a chair, sailplane-style, long-back container would also fit into your cockpit. They are so thin that they can be stuffed into almost any cockpit. However, since you are sitting on part of the parachute canopy, too much stomping on rudder pedals will shift fabric, creating lumps.

OTOH long-backs were really designed to stuff bulky, military-surplus canopies into snug sailplane cockpits. Modern canopies are so much less bulky that that many modern long-backs have no canopy fabric bellow the seat back. Instead, they only have a foam-filled pad under the pilot's buttocks. The extra long back-pad helps prevent the parachute from riding up against your neck when pushing negative Gs.