Jungster 1 & 2 aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

I feel like I’ve heard the Jungster I is not an airplane for a tall guy. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Hi Tiger Tim. I am 6’2” and fit perfectly well in the standard seat and with the modified lowered seat will still be fine and have the top of my head at the level of the rear turtle deck.
I will be moving the panel and the tension member forward to ease access and bail out option for longer legs.
This does mean standard depth instruments would require a smaller fuselarge fuel tank, which can always be solved by building the center section tank or using shallow depth instruments like the Kanardia ones.
I’m sure other solutions with the shape of the bottom of the panel could be worked out to allow standard depth instruments too.
It’s not a very wide cockpit so broad folks might find it too narrow.
I’ve managed to get full aileron throw and not have interference from my skinny thighs too 👍

Last edited:

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
I am in possession of this Jungster 1, landing gear had serious issues with seized spring assemblies when purchased.. work still in progress. 😉
Any progress on your Jungster 1 Andy?
I would love to see some more pics of her.
Hope all is well 👍

andyvg52

HBA Supporter
Any progress on your Jungster 1 Andy?
I would love to see some more pics of her.
Hope all is well 👍
Recovering from knee replacement surgery, not progressing too much project wise, took some more pics; thinking of buying gear legs from Aviatorbell, toe-in intolerable from past landing crunches! Straightened somewhat using farm tractor repair techniques, but still not enough..! IMG_20210705_145246_01.jpgIMG_20210705_145246_01.jpgIMG_20210705_145346.jpgIMG_20210705_145246_01.jpg

Attachments

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
I hope your knee mends quickly and well!
Cheers for pictures.
I’m trying to sort the gear out on ours,Seems it’s been altered from the original gear a little.
The cross piece that connects the spring is not as deep as the original gear from when it was new. Seems to hold the gear at a more narrow stance when unloaded, it’s 37” from disk to disk and about 42” from centre of each tire.
Not sure if the weight will bring it out a bit and bring the tires more straight up and down, reducing 5 deg positive camber and fair amount of toe out.
Seems if I lower the upper spring rod pivots I can widen the stance a bit without inducing toe in. Seems to have toe out in wheel attitude and neutral in 3 point ( but I’m guessing a bit here)
Does anyone know how much if any the springs will give under the flying weight of say 850-900lbs ?

Attachments

andyvg52

HBA Supporter
I hope your knee mends quickly and well!
Cheers for pictures.
I’m trying to sort the gear out on ours,Seems it’s been altered from the original gear a little.
The cross piece that connects the spring is not as deep as the original gear from when it was new. Seems to hold the gear at a more narrow stance when unloaded, it’s 37” from disk to disk and about 42” from centre of each tire.
Not sure if the weight will bring it out a bit and bring the tires more straight up and down, reducing 5 deg positive camber and fair amount of toe out.
Seems if I lower the upper spring rod pivots I can widen the stance a bit without inducing toe in. Seems to have toe out in wheel attitude and neutral in 3 point ( but I’m guessing a bit here)
Does anyone know how much if any the springs will give under the flying weight of say 850-900lbs ?
I just measured disc to disc on mine -43"- , your gear will definitely spread when attached to an airplane.. I had also removed 1/2" shim from each spring assembly leaving wheels with a couple degrees negative camber.. having ground looped once doing a not-so-fast taxi test out in Idaho, aircraft needs a 'wider stance' and 0 to slight toe out for stability, IMO.. :)

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Cheers for measuring your gear 👍
I’ve nearly got my gear mount holes drilled.
Seems this gear might have a nifty way to adjust the toe. There are little articulated blocks at the base of the spring struts and by packing the top attachments of the spring struts fore or aft the toe changes. I haven’t throughly investigated this yet but last night when I turned the fuse up the right way this came to light.
I hope to get her back on her gear temporally today.

Attachments

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
She’s back on her gear…..temporarily.
The gear length is built for 6” rims and it’s only got 5” ones, think it will need taller tires to give enough prop clearance considering the length prop a Verner 7U can spin. could go 3 blade but a 2 will look and likely perform better.
Now I’ll finish the new lowered lighter seat and finalize the elevator push pull tube assembly length and stops, trim, rudder cables, finale instal of floor, brakes and pedals, new fuel tank, instrument panel ….etc etc… the list is long !
Not to mention making new cabane and front interplane struts.
I have to stop myself thinking of all the details involved in the big picture or it gets overwhelming and I doubt my ability to finish it! Just one bite at a time right!
9C470DE3-B41F-4AD9-B2A2-6784942AE844.jpeg