• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Joe's S1 Progress Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys!

Today's update:
1st coat of primer/UV block was brush onto the tail surfaces very, very early this AM.
There was a short break in the sprinkling weather so I went down to the hangar this afternoon and I was able to get one side of the right wing primed. Then back to home this evening to give the newly primed tail surfaces a quick sand so I can hopefully spray them tomorrow.

Funny thing, while working on this today I was wondering what my next airplane should be...

While we are on the topic of Joe's Sonerai 1, I would like to see if we can put a list together of active Sonerai 1 projects, and flyable examples. Would just be fun to see how many there are out there……we could report in a new thread….Any suggestions?….Ed F.

Raceair said:
While we are on the topic of Joe's Sonerai 1, I would like to see if we can put a list together of active Sonerai 1 projects, and flyable examples. Would just be fun to see how many there are out there……we could report in a new thread….Any suggestions?….Ed F.

I was hoping to see some interest in this suggestion with the potential of a little S1 gathering planned in the near future (which from previous conversations with you, Ed, may have been your thought as well?
Maybe it would be worth some time searching in the FAA database and then a few letters mailed out, if nothing else it may uncover a few more dusty Sonerai 1's that are currently hidden in the back of garages and hangars?

Yes, Joe, It is not known how many S1's were completed and flown, let alone how many were started and abandoned….I know there are many of those, I have owned several over the years….
Let's see if there are more enthusiasts who could get involved in a gathering of sorts. My Semi-annual 'Supervee Update' newsletter may also be a vehicle to reach out to others. Anybody else besides Joe out there that want to get involved?????….Ed

Raceair said:
Nobody interested but Joe?…….Nobody else has a Sonerai 1 or project?…….

I dunno, a bit surprising.

Another update, I found a few hours this afternoon to put some color on a wing:
normal_image~47.jpg

Joe/Ed,

Ref. an S-1 get together. I would be interested but I really don't want to fly my machine from TX to the right coast... or similar. I use it for local sport flying (excellent!).

I would like to know where and how many S-1s exist, were built and where they are today. I would like to restore a vintage S-1 that had not been wrecked... I think they are really cool machines!

I have commented before that there is one in my local area, Granbury, TX, that has over 1300 hrs on it over 40 years and still flies regularly.

Kevin

Kevin, Thanks for the post. Lets see how many people we can stir up for this. I will keep track of it , perhaps a new thread where we can communicate. A 'fly in-drive in,' and maybe we could even hold a Supervee outback competition…Takeoff, ten miles out turn around a landmark, then sprint back….
Once we have several people who want to do this, we can pick a geographic area that suits everybody the best.
I know of old S-1's that need re-built, but can't say they weren't wrecked at some time…I know of a heck of a deal that Carl Swenson has, (S-1 #17 FV Racer) In Conroe, TX, if you want a project that is reasonably priced…..Ed

That is interesting. I bought a Pietenpol in Conroe this past weekend and just flew it home. Just for fun, probably won't keep it long. I had seen an S-1 down there several years ago but it was owned by a guy with the last name of Meiers or Meyers. I wonder if this is the same one. Do you have any info on it...N number/phone number? I know some EAA chapter members down there, I can contact them and see if they know Swenson.

Talking out the other side of my mouth, I don't need another plane right now... but??? We will see.

I would still like to get my hands on the S-1 built by Marvin Brott from McKinney, TX. It is a good airplane he just quit flying it many years ago and hung it up in his hangar. He doesn't want to sell it because of liability. I need to work on him.

Kevin

Kevin, This was not Butch Meiers', Butch raced a white one , 'top gun', #45 for the owner, and in the Meiers family hangar is the yellow/red #18 Starfire, raced by the great, late John Inman, and it is tied up in an Estate, and being stored.
Carl was a veteran F-1 Cassutt Pilot, and he raced for decades. He is older now , and possibly not flying. #17 was a S1 he had bought when formula Vee was really going. He raced it a couple times, and on a race start in Louisiana had an engine failure, and he put it down at the very end of the runway, and damaged it. He then bought a project from Jim Vliet, and was going to use parts for the restoration, but never got any rework accomplished before FV went away. If I did not already have two S-1's, I would buy Carls…. I will look for his phone # and get back with you….
And, yes, like the one you speak of in McKinney, TX, we need to unearth these airplanes, and get them going again!!.Ed

Absolutely, Everybody's welcome…….If Supervee gets big I am planning a 'Sonerai 2 ' class as well. Most people would not know this, but we did race a couple Sonerai 2's with the 1's in the early days of FV…..'Fill the field' was what we were trying to do then, and years later much more serious racing emerged. ED

I would like in if my S1L is welcome. Have 35 Hrs. plans No.540 . Neighbor purchased plans No. 248 in estate sell. Complete with paint. Helping him with finishing it. Has 8 in. motor mount. He is a big guy, told him should be lengthened. What do you think Ed?.
Mike

I vote for a 'Sonerai Fly-In Drive-In', and all are welcome! Anyone that is interested (to motivate them), someone that holds plans but hasn't started building yet (to motivate them), someone that is building/restoring/flying a Sonerai 1 or 2 (to motivate them too!) should all be there to enjoy each others company and to learn from each others experiences!
Where the gathering is held is not too much of a factor for me, I would be willing to travel or happy to host!

Today's Sonerai progress report - I wet-sanded the bug tracks out with 600 grit and the paint looks good enough for me, I'll sand it down to 1500, polish and buff later. Turning this wing over and repeating the paint process on the other side!

Kevin and Ed, Those are some interesting tidbits of Sonerai history there - good discussion!

After a few hours of wet sanding all of the dead bugs out of the paint I decided that the final coat should be sprayed in a more controlled environment. The framing of my new hangar workshop was completed this week so I made a temporary paint booth, hope to put the final coat on this wing and the tail surfaces over the weekend!

normal_image~48.jpg
normal_image~49.jpg

Kevin R. said:
Joe, that is all looking great. A lot of pieces and parts there suggesting some really good progress. What brand paint are you using?/

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

For the fabric I used Stewart's System right up to the UV blocker/Primer coat. The topcoat/color is from the Sherwinn-Williams Aviation dept, if I remember correctly it was $35-40 for the gallon of 'Outrageous Green' during one of their 40% off sales? Thinned down I could probably spray 2 complete airplanes with a gallon of paint...

Back