It's Only Money

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Kyle Boatright, Apr 8, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 8, 2019 #1

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I'm at the point on my current project where "It's only money". One more $60 hose, a $80 cable, maybe $40 in hardware, write a check to the painter. And have Amazon send another $20 in sandpaper and a $40 roll of masking paper.

The only mystery is whether the total of the shipping costs on the miscellaneous bits and pieces will exceed the total of the miscellaneous parts cost.

2. Apr 8, 2019 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

What else, rather than an airplane or airplane project would you rather spend your money on?

BJC

3. Apr 8, 2019 #3

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

There's always chicken wings and good beer......pleasant alternative when you can't work on your plane.

4. Apr 8, 2019 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

True. And, if the vendor of said wings and beer is carefully chosen, very pleasant scenery.

BJC

bmcj, Mcmark and TerryM76 like this.
  5. Apr 8, 2019 #5

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Hahahaha....that makes it tons better.

6. Apr 8, 2019 #6

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

You are my kind of pig.

bmcj likes this.
  7. Apr 9, 2019 #7

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Weird thing about life. We always get what we want. If people think they can only spend a $1,000 they will most likely find a airplane for a $1,000. And $50k, yup, exactly the same rule applies.

So aim high and be careful what you wish for. Pick what you like and just make it happen.

BJC likes this.
  8. Apr 9, 2019 #8

lr27

lr27

lr27

That works sometimes, especially if you work for it. If it does, you're fortunate. But it's a setup for disappointment to claim that we ALWAYS get what we want.

9. Apr 9, 2019 #9

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I would disagree. I say that because there's only two choices in life. The other option is a paved road to hell. Aim high, shoot for the stars because the end isn't the goal, the process is. There's no disapointment because even if you don't get what you want you still get more than if you planned to minimize your life. It feels awful shooting for less than you want, makes your skin crawl. There's always suffering, that's not a choice, we don't get to choose not to suffer. What we can choose is how we suffer. So yeah, it's painful either way, why would anybody choose the lesser? Low self esteem or fear. There's not much else to it. Figure out what you want and get busy getting it. The process of goal setting is the greatest part of life.

Saying "what's the cheapest thing available" is a limiting belief. That kinda thinking is a hard life. People are worth so much more than they think. Figure out what you want and go for it. The biggest reason for failure is people just don't figure out what they want. If you truly want something, well, you can get it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  10. Apr 9, 2019 #10

BJC

BJC

BJC

There are times when one thinks that he wants something, then learns that he really does not. Knowing when, and how, to accept that is useful.

BJC

11. Apr 10, 2019 #11

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I think the OP was making a reference to the fact that he's in it for the duration....the end is in sight and "it's only money" at this point.
    I believe he's reached the point of no going back now after everything that's been accomplished.

I do wonder if the last part of the post was just a casual observation or an actual question though.
    If a builder is not careful....shipping costs can be as formidable as the actual material cost in a project.
    2 examples :
    1. I needed a can of wing walk material for my Tomahawk....material cost is $23....shipping is $15.
    Luckily,I was able to add my order in with another builder at the airport and it cut my shipping in half.
    2. I need plywood for my Stork project right now...$350-$400 to ship 1 sheet of ply or $350-$400 to ship 12 sheets of ply.
    I'm waiting to place my entire order at one time so I only pay shipping charges once instead of making multiple orders and having the shipping equal or exceed the material cost.
    It's a delay....but money is money now days.

For people that actual build planes and see them through to completion,careful financial planning is critical to keep the costs from creeping in and making your dream project unobtainable.
    For people that just build parts and then sell them off,give them away or just store them to admire and then head off in a new direction because something else has struck their fancy for the moment,that financial planning really isn't prudent to them.
    But the TRUE BUILDERS watch their pennies just like they watch the ounces.........

Kevin

12. Apr 10, 2019 #12

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

There's no such thing as a "true builder" unless yourey putting yourself in charge of judging others here? If a person has cancer and can only build something small so he can enjoy his limited life is he less of a man? Define a "real builder"?

By the way, until a airplane is flying all you're doing is building parts. So your rational makes zero sense considering there's lots of us just making parts. All your doing is crapping on people building parts and having fun.

13. Apr 11, 2019 #13

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

My apologies to the OP because this will most likely veer off of the original topic.
    I made an assumption that the OP was making an observation as to the projected cost of the project and the actual end cost of the project when all the variables are added up....such as shipping costs.
    I in no way belittled anyone for whatever project they choose to invest their time and money into....it's called Free Will on their part.
    I could care less if it's a project that has been scrounged together frugally or a factory bought kit that cost as much as some peoples houses.
    Building is building and flying is flying...no matter what the dollar value of the aircraft is.
    You,LittleScapper,are the one that jumped on a soapbox and started preaching that the only way to live is to shoot for the stars and get yourself into a project that could more than likely be financially & time wise unfeasible for someone.
    You,LittleScrapper,are the one that claims if someone lives and builds within their means and uses common sense to realize what they can realistically achieve with a project instead of setting themselves up for failure by getting into a project that they have no possible way of finishing,well then,they are on a paved road to hell.
    I agree with you that people can acheive more than they believe they can if they apply themselves and set fear aside by taking the first step.
    I also believe that common sense should prevail after all the scenarios of a project are ran through a builders head.
    Let me give you my definition of a True Builder and maybe it will help you rationalize the conversation the rest of us have been having on this thread and then the direction your replies took.
    To me,a True Builder is someone that picks a project through rational thinking,runs all of the best case and worst case scenarios through their head,takes the plunge,enjoys the triumphs and works through the disappointments,achieves their end goal and then enjoys their creation.
    Whether it's building a complete aircraft or building parts.......completing the objective is what defines a True Builder to me.
    So,how I became the bad guy by picking on people with cancer,belittling individuals for their small projects and crapping on people that are having fun is beyond me.
    I have complimented you on your work,offered my well intentioned advice to you,offered to help you by supplying plans or finding a project for you,I've even thanked you for information you've provided to me at times......and for my efforts,you've consistantly tried your best to provoke a confrontation between us.
    I have watched your confrontational posts towards many people on this Forum in several threads that have been unfounded on your part.
    ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU'RE HAVING FUN LittleScrapper ????
    Because you sound like you're frustrated about something and you're taking it out on others.
    And to answer your question.....no,I'm not here to judge people because I've never been in the position to Cast The First Stone.
    Take your own advice.....quit judging me and other people....because you have no idea who I am or what I'm about.
    Try being civil and getting to know someone before you pass judgement.

Kevin

Once again,my apologies to the OP for getting off topic.

14. Apr 11, 2019 #14

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

You're completely taking what I said out of context to suit your emotion I think it's quite clear to everyone. I have zero frustration and there's literally no sign of it anywhere.

Everything I wrote is positive, it's a growth mindset. Absolutely shoot for the stars! Absolutely believe in yourself. Absolutely challenge yourself. If that bothers you then holy smokes, good luck.

At no point did I write anything about financial advice, my advice is to work hard and figure it out.

You can manipulate my words all you want everything I wrote is easy to read and positive regardless of your agenda to spin it.

Good luck building parts.

15. Apr 11, 2019 #15

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I agree with a lot of what you said.....absolutely.
    People should always strive to do better.
    But that thinking is also a double edge sword when it pertains to projects of this nature.
    Common sense has to come into play...
    If someone can't realistically complete a project due to finances or time.....then choose a project that is within reach and make that plane the best darn plane of its kind out there.
    I,myself,would love to have a STOL aircraft made by a particular unnamed company but realistically it is out of my reach financially......so I'm doing the next best thing by building a version that is within my grasp to complete.
    Sure,it will never be a Brand X plane but it will be the best dang plane of its kind when I'm finished and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.
    You and I both have the same immediate goals in mind,complete the particular project at hand and have fun,we just have different end goals......but we are both building parts along the way to our different destinations......
    Let's build and have fun.......the warm weather is upon us.....enjoy the summer.

Kevin

16. Apr 11, 2019 #16
  17. Apr 11, 2019 #17

don january

don january

don january

True Builder. Now that's a new one to me. My view of a true builder is a person who starts a aircraft build and never stops until it is flying even if many parts are farmed out to be made. The OP is apparently dealing with the reality of added money just for shipping material to his build and will cost of shipping out weigh the cost of the material ? There my friends is one reason a build drags out for many, And to think I have very little patients :( and so many parts yet to buy.

18. Apr 11, 2019 #18

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

"It's only money??"

Ok, which one of you has been talking with my wife? Her favorite saying when SHE goes shopping, but let ME spend a dime and WOW!"

Derswede:(

19. Apr 11, 2019 #19

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

This post very much captures my state of mind.

The project is 98% complete. I have a small remaining budget for "miscellaneous" things that pop up at the end and I know I'll need - a half dozen cables, brackets, hoses, (or whatever) to complete the job or to replace similar items that just didn't work out right. That's what I'm working through now. At this point, the budget (and the final spend) are pretty much established within $500 or so unless there is some sort of scope creep (I.E. I go from a fairly simple paint scheme to a much more complicated scheme, or if I add to the avionics suite.)

The shipping comment was kind of poking fun at the situation. When you're down to ordering "onesies" from a half dozen vendors, your shipping costs (relative to the cost of the items) skyrockets. A $0.25 AN3 bolt costs $0.25+ a couple of dollars in shipping, if that's all you need. (I'm not at that point - I have a surplus of AN3 hardware at this time, but you get the idea.)

I just wish I could work on the project right now. This week, I'm battling through the hell of finishing 9 tax returns. One for my immediate family plus 8 for different trusts and estates different family members have entrusted me with. I'd rather drill a series of #40 holes in my thumb...

20. Apr 11, 2019 #20

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Kyle Boatright.....I can relate to your situation completely.
    I've been at the point in my build that I need ply for over a month now.
    Unfortunately,shipping is going to be close to $400 for a single sheet or for my entire order.
    So,logic tells me to work on other parts and wait until I can place the entire order so I only pay 1 shipping charge.
    Multiple orders will quickly see my shipping charges totally surpass the actual material cost.
    So the old adage comes into play for me....time is money....and I'm biding my time to save a bunch of money that can be put to good use buying other needed items for my build.
    Watching pennies during a build will quickly add up to dollars saved in the end and give builders a better chance at completing their project,at least financially.

Kevin

And once again,my apologies for taking your thread off subject momentarily.